Connect with us

Making lights flash to music?

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by mikezap99, Feb 27, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. mikezap99

mikezap99

Feb 27, 2010
    Hi everyone,

I'm installing LED light bars in my car, and I wanted to hook them up so that I could make them flash to music. I found this instructable and i was planning on modifying it to suit my LEDs and resistors.

I would split the audio signal coming from the mp3 player hookup and then run it into two of these transistor setups, one for the left lights and another for the right lights, to take advantage of the stereo capabilities.

Would this work in my application?
    Does anyone have any constructive advice? I am a relative newcomer to this field.
    Thanks!

2. mikezap99

mikezap99

Feb 27, 2010
  3. nay27uk

nay27uk

Dec 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  4. Externet

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
    If the led light bars are meant to work on 14 V DC car power, this may work:

Connect the light bar to the car battery and measure the current at the (+) led bar wire.

Connect a bridge rectifier ~ and ~ to a car speaker wires pair
    Connect the bridge rectifier output (+) and (-) to the light bar wires.

Turn the volume up gently while measuring the current. Do not exceed the volume when the current value measured before is reached. Remember that knob position, that will be your maximum. Remove the current meter.

Ask a Question