Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Making a screen from tri-colour LED lights

nabaza

Oct 4, 2010
Hi, team! I'm new on these forums and I've joined because I have a fairly specific question (I've searched old threads, had no luck). I'm interested in finding out more about using tri-colour LEDs to create a screen on which I would be able to program imags from a computer. I've seen these screens before at music festivals and other large-scale events, which makes me think that the technology mighn't be too difficult provided I can afford the materials.

My problem, however, is that I don't know what this kind of screen is called, the name of the connection the LED lights have to have to each other, with the computer or even the kind of program I would have to use (perhaps something like Pure Data?) and as such, I am having difficulty Boolean searching and giving this a shot.

I'd really appreciate it if someone who knew the names of these things could let me know so I could start trying to do some research. If you think you have any other information which could be useful, I'd be very grateful for that too!

Just as a quick note, in case this alters someone's advice, my end goal is to attach several thousand LED lights to a bodysuit, thereby transforming it into a kind of screen. I appreciate that this will be a markedly difficult task. Again, I apologise for my ignorance, I ask this question with great sincerity and a thirst for understanding and any help would be much appreciated.

darkman1969

Jun 23, 2010
Hi Nabaza,
try googling RGB LED MATRIX SCREEN

You will find all the info you need

Regards