Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Making a LED strip for computer case. Please help me...

Shanike1000

Dec 26, 2010
hay guys, this is my first post in the forum...:D so please forgive me if i've done any mistake... :D
i wanna make a strip of LEDs with 60 LEDs in it.. The input i can give to the strip is +12v (molex 8981 connector)

LED.jpg

Now, there are 3 questions,
1. What kinda LED should i choose? (amount of volts)
2. If resistors or something like that is needed, how should i use those?
3. Would the colour of the LED change the amount of power needed to it? (i'm selecting blue LEDs)

please please please please please please please please give me an answer.... i'm dying out here...

million thanks
-shanike-

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
1. Individual ordinary LED's don't come in volts, instead the different colors have different (& approximate) voltage drops. The approximate is why resistors are needed.
2. There are LED calculators and guides all over the 'net.
3. No, not the power [Watts] but the color determines how many LED's can be put in series on a specific supply voltage. Blue = ~ 3V = max 3 LED's in series on 12V.

The LED strips you buy are usually ready-made with resistors for a specific voltage. Being a total noob, do you really intend to make them completely from scratch?

Shanike1000

Dec 26, 2010
1. Individual ordinary LED's don't come in volts, instead the different colors have different (& approximate) voltage drops. The approximate is why resistors are needed.
2. There are LED calculators and guides all over the 'net.
3. No, not the power [Watts] but the color determines how many LED's can be put in series on a specific supply voltage. Blue = ~ 3V = max 3 LED's in series on 12V.

The LED strips you buy are usually ready-made with resistors for a specific voltage. Being a total noob, do you really intend to make them completely from scratch?

Yes it's true, There are LED strips in the market. but the thing is they are not made for my needs. I want to connect it to the molex connector of my power supply. I want them to be EXACTLY 8" long and .5" wide. I want the wires to be EXACTLY 1 meters each... i don't think there are products with the exact specifications i mentioned. (If such product exists, please give me the link)
thank you! :)