Connect with us

Making a handheld game

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Ali8bongo, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Ali8bongo

Ali8bongo

Jun 2, 2012
    Hi
    I am new to this forum and new to electronics, and one day I hope to build a digital watch with lots of features like games, thermometer,barometer e.t.c To learn how to do this I have decided to learn how to make each section individually first. So my question is how would I make a handheld device with a couple of buttons, and an LCD display that you can play a couple of games on like blackjack. I am hoping to be able to have 1 mode button to switch between the games and between 2 and4 buttons for in the games. I have already wrote the code for this so it is just a matter of making the electronics side of it. So my question is what would be required to make it, tools, components e.t.c and how would I go about it.
    Thanks in advance

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Since the code will be hardware dependent you must already have a majority of your question answered?

If you truly have no electronics knowledge maybe it's best to start out with something simple? It's appears you can't even crawl yet but you want to attempt building a space ship... Roll back your ambitions and start with the foundations...

3. Ali8bongo

Ali8bongo

Jun 2, 2012
    What I mean is I have wrote the code for the program to work online but to get it to work on my a handheld game I will probably have to write it again. So how would I go about making something like this? Would I need to be ale to write the final code first or after? What components would I need? Is there any guides on how to make one of these?

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Slow down and understand that it appears this is WAY out of your league right now, you need to start simple...

Can you blink an LED with a micro? Can you blink 2 LEDs out of phase with a micro? How about a flashing pattern with 10 LEDs that changes patterns based on long or short button presses? These are elementary micro designs and if you have not mastered them you are FAR FAR FAR away from getting a working game system even started...

If you want to explore the code side of these devices then may I suggest you get one of the new *nix based handheld game systems that are on the market and start writing new firmware for it and then design a game or two for it... Once you master that then start worrying about how to design the hardware, it's no small feat and even for those that have the knowledge it's a daunting and labor intense task to dive into...

5. Ali8bongo

Ali8bongo

Jun 2, 2012
    Okay, I will attempt that some over day :) are there any projects that you reccomend that will be simple enough for me to be ale to do with my little electronics knowledge yet still be useful for everyday life, like a digital compass?

6. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    There are lots of DIY kits out there... Hit up Google for electronics kits and start plugging away..

Ask a Question