Maker Pro
Maker Pro

making a big magnetic field

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohammadrahimpoor

Feb 9, 2015
hi i need to make a big dB/dt i wonder if i charge a capasitor and then discharge it in an inductance now should i use a big inductance or a small one ? i would be thankful if u answer me speceficly

mohammadrahimpoor

Feb 9, 2015
big enough to damage aan electrical circuit in the distance of 10 meters i want to use it as a tool to disable another robot in a robot fight

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
At 10 meters, not a chance. This would require a huge amount of energy, the components needed to do this would probably be heavier than your robot. And how would you protect your robot only being a few centimetres away?
Adam

mohammadrahimpoor

Feb 9, 2015
At 10 meters, not a chance. This would require a huge amount of energy, the components needed to do this would probably be heavier than your robot. And how would you protect your robot only being a few centimetres away?
Adam
well i can sheild it by metal as u know electromagnetic feild can not enter inside a metel sphere what is the most distance i can achive ?

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Magnetic fields can certainly pass through metals. I can't help you any further sorry.
Adam

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
This is way above me, one thought I have had is you could cover you robot in Lead. Lead is a superconductor so the magnetic filed can't go through it.
Adam

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I believe there is a rule on this forum about helping with weapons.

Bob

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
well if u think so just read about faraday cage here is a link

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

you didn't read your own link very well did you ?

Faraday cages cannot block static or slowly varying magnetic fields, such as the Earth's magnetic field (a compass will still work inside).

they are for blocking EM radiation ( radio waves) and electrostatic charges

what you want to do isn't possible without severely affecting your own equipment. and that is apart from the fact of the huge power requirements that Adam mentioned

cheers
Dave

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Creating a destructive EMP typically requires discharging a high voltage capacitor or a high voltage energy-storing delay line into a radiating load (an antenna) using a very fast switch. The faster the turn-on, the more high-frequency content in the radiated EMP. Pulse widths of a few microseconds and turn-on times of a few picoseconds with pulse repetition rates upwards of a few kilohertz are possible. The voltage required to generate a significant (destructive) amount of EMP energy is upwards of ten kilovolts. Stray inductance and stray capacitance and circuit resistance are not your friends as these must all be minimized. I wouldn't even consider using this technology, which is very sophisticated, as a weapon in a robot fight. It might work once, but then the opponent robot would simply "shield up" against the EMP for the next contest. Have you considered "brute force" (bigger, heavier, more power) to overwhelm the opposing robot?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I suspect the robots are limited in size and weight. Otherwise someone would just use a monster truck.

Bob

mohammadrahimpoor

Feb 9, 2015
you didn't read your own link very well did you ?

they are for blocking EM radiation ( radio waves) and electrostatic charges

what you want to do isn't possible without severely affecting your own equipment. and that is apart from the fact of the huge power requirements that Adam mentioned

cheers
Dave
well if u still dont beleive me just seach protecting electronics against emp and see that the pratcital way to do it is faraday cage atleast thats what we did in university in our magnet lab

mohammadrahimpoor

Feb 9, 2015
I suspect the robots are limited in size and weight. Otherwise someone would just use a monster truck.

Bob
well they are limited to the size and weight what im trying to do is to satisfy those rules while achiving my goal

Status
Not open for further replies.