Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Making a beacon

Rehab Doc

Sep 7, 2015
My daughter has a science project -- she needs to build a beacon that remains dormant until activated by a signal that can then broadcast a unique frequency signal that can range between 100 to 300 feet; the beacon needs to be as small as possible, the size of a quarter or even smaller if possible. Would this be considered a medium range signal? What type of technology would we look at? Garage door signal? Bluetooth? Other? Please help. Thanks.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
what sort of signal is going to trigger it ?
your size limit is unlikely to be met for a home project ... that would be a challenge even for a hi tech manufacturing company

Dave

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
At the same time the school can request the student make a new Sinclair computer the size of a matchbox and costing less than $30.00

Rehab Doc

Sep 7, 2015
what sort of signal is going to trigger it ?
your size limit is unlikely to be met for a home project ... that would be a challenge even for a hi tech manufacturing company

Dave
Cell signal to trigger; I don't mind contacting a high tech company, any suggestions?

Rehab Doc

Sep 7, 2015
Is the chip used for garage opener small? Would that technology work?

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
"...I don't mind contacting a high tech company, ..." ????

Isn't a student science project supposed to be within the capability of the "student"? Seems like she should be the one asking questions here? I can almost always tell when a student project has been overtaken partially or completely to an adult. Especially when you start asking the student questions about the details of "their" project. :(

Ken

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Isn't a student science project supposed to be within the capability of the "student"?

yup, exactly

it will cost you $1000's to get a hi-tech company to do it for you and as Ken said totally defeats the purpose of the exercise

I suggest you look for something that is within the capabilities of your daughters knowledge and skills

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Do you have a more clear description of the requirements. It sounds like this can be done with some $3 modules from China - except for that whole cell phone requirement.

ak