Connect with us

Make + and - 12V from 24VDC?

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by [email protected], Sep 15, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guest

    Anyone have any simple circuits on how to make +/- 12VDC from 0-24VDC?

    I would just take a center-tapped transformer, but the idea is to use
    a cheap off-the-shelf power brick like the ones you can grab from
    Goodwill (thrift store) for $1 each. No center taps there...


  2. Tom Biasi

    Tom Biasi Guest

    Two 12 V zeners in series with a small resistor to pick up the slack.

  3. Eeyore

    Eeyore Guest

    Sure. As long as the 24V isn't rounded, use an active circuit to create 'Vcc/2'
    such as 2 equal value resistors and an op-amp voltage follower configuration. It
    will give you 0, 12V and 24V. That's essentially the same as -12, 0 , +12.

  4. Guest


    I'll study zener diodes more in-depth now.

  5. Jamie

    Jamie Guest

    I have a feeling this is a home work question!.
    Ok, How about a Virtual Ground? with a bridge rectifier
    and filter cap before that? this will give you half of
    24 volts for the +&-.
    You can use a couple of zeners, an op-amp of a simple
    2 resistor thingy...

    use 2 half wave output from one side of the tap into
    2 different regulators 7812 and 7912 for example.
    ect. ect..

    that should give you enough to get you in trouble.
  6. John Fields

    John Fields Guest

  7. Guest

    One amp drawn from the 12V side.

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day