Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Make an Oscilloscope?

shodai

Nov 23, 2017
I have been researching trying to see if there is any way for someone to make their own oscilloscope. What I believe I have discovered is that I actually want to make a waveform generator. However, I am still a little stumped. Does anyone know of a project for making a waveform generator that can then be connected to a computer for oscilloscope type output?

shodai

Nov 23, 2017
Let's say that I can make something like this, which I believe I can, how could I connect this to a computer for the actual "oscilloscope" output?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
A waveform generator creates signals. An oscilloscope displays signals visually. They are not the same thing, and one is not a part of the other. What is it you want to do.? Why did you decide that you needed to make a waveform generator instead of an oscilloscope?

Bob

shodai

Nov 23, 2017
I wanted to create an oscilloscope circuit, just could not figure out how to connect it to an output source. Does anyone know of a circuit for an oscilloscope. Something that can be made to use with probes and then connect to a monitor?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
One can buy a small handheld scope kit for less than $30.00 on Ebay etc as long as one recognises there are limitations.
If you want something that feeds into a pc then try one of the many pc scope software around. Again with limits.
This is just one of the many... https://www.zeitnitz.eu/scope_en

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
You can use the audio jack of your PC as a very low performance scope, good only for audio frequencies and not good for DC since there will be a capacitor on the input. Search the web for this, it is only a few simple parts. And you can get free software to display it.

Bob

shodai

Nov 23, 2017
Thanks to everyone for the input. Definitely a little more research to do but this puts some things into perspective.