Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Make a mouse fence that kills mice..in the celing!

Lortech

Jul 15, 2009
We have a issue with mice running between floor joist. I do not feel like opening up the ceiling to find where they are coming or going. So, I want to push some pins that penetrate the ceiling and space them every 1/2 or inch. Every sewing type of needle pin will have alternating positive and negative electrodes.

The idea is once the mouse gets in close proximity or touches both pins at the same time, they will experience a lethal dose of electricity.

I am not sure how the sence electronics would be designs to detect when a biological body is near it "say 1/4 inch or less" and then send out a nice jacobs ladder zap to the mouse killing it. It would only turn on once the mouse was very close to the pins.

another would be where the pins would detect a resistance change "mice touching both + - pins as same time, then a relay would switch over from sense, to high voltage zap to kill it.

This would only work with one mouse at a time as the mouse would die on the spot and would shot out the electrodes. In that case, moving it 2-3 inches from the last point where it was inserted would kill the next one.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Are you intentionally trying to burn down the house? Because that is where you are heading...

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
:D You will end up sleeping outside your burnt house together with your mouse.

Even you use insulator to your high voltage probe to avoid burning your house. Mouse will not immediately die. because they jump away from the probe because their leg muscle tend to flex when electrocuted.

I tried this before when I was a kid. The mouse keep coming back and electrocuted around 5 times before it figure out the danger and stay away.:D:D. Luckily I did not burn anything because I series 50W bulb on my wire 220V AC.

Last edited:

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Dead mice IN the ceiling, that you can't remove, is as bad as the initial problem.
Try getting at them where they enter and exit the place.
Most of them are pretty smart about traps. I've found the sticky-glue sheet 'traps'
extremely effective. The mice don't know they're there, when they walk on them they
get stuck extremely well, and are eliminated. Place them in areas you can reach, that
you know the mice travel through.

pilko

Dec 8, 2012
Glue sheets are a nasty way to kill mice. They often chew off their own feet in order to escape.They then suffer agonizing pain as they bleed to death.

pilko

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Heaven save us from the compassionate.
I suppose it's better to allow vermin to infect your family with illness.
Maybe we're supposed to catch 'em and release them to return, or infest someone
else's house.
pilko must've read that somewhere. Been using the glue sheets for years.
Maybe if you left them there for a week or two, they might consider 'chewing off their
own feet to escape', ... though I'm a little curious about how exactly they'd 'escape' with no feet.
So far, I haven't seen that done (sounds like an Urban Myth to me).

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Yes, one has to always consider where their own imaginary line in the sand is drawn in regards to removing vermin or pest...

I always get a giggle out of the people that live catch in a neighborhood (or even rural) and release, like the mouse isn't smart enough to figure out the the 'houses' in the neighborhood are the warm and cozy places and return...

I personally don't use the glue traps because I have found the poisoned seeds and vintage snap traps to work just fine... That and the one time we did try the glue trap out cat came home with it stuck to their head after they got the reward, it took us hours to clean the glue off the cats head and body...

On a side note one of my earliest DIY electronics projects was building a vermin live trap, I was probably about 10 years old or so... I had a solenoid out of something I had taken apart, hit up Radio Shack for a good old mercury switch and built a simple teeter totter trigger with the mercury switch that triggered the solenoid that was holding up a cookie sheet that would fall and close the door...

JMW

Jan 30, 2012
What is wrong with the ole standby, a Barrett .50 Cal sniper rifle? Gets rid of the carcass in one swell foop. You get the idea.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I suggested glue sheets because lortech said they were betweent the floor joists, and
I figured only insects or mice would be affected. I have accidentally snagged a couple of
bats with them. I don't recommend the .50 cal for this job.
It'd get the mouse, but after that, you'd be repairing the holes in the ceiling, ....attic,
.... roof, .... chimney, .... and any low-flying aircraft in the vicinity.

Last edited:

JMW

Jan 30, 2012
I suggested glue sheets because lortech said they were betweent the floor joists, and
I figured only insects or mice would be affected. I have accidentally snagged a couple of
bats with them. I don't recommend the .50 cal for this job.
It'd get the mouse, but after that, you'd be repairing the holes in the ceiling, ....attic,
.... roof, .... chimney, .... and any low-flying aircraft in the vicinity.
I hadn't considered the low flying aircraft. C4, while difficult to obtain, can also be used.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Nerve gas. No damage to the house at all.

Bob

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Have you thought of evacuating the atmosphere from the roof cavity?

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Ground corn meal or wheat flour mixed with dry Portland cement (4 parts food 1 part cement) and a bowl of water for the mouse to wash it down...

JMW

Jan 30, 2012
I'll stand by my solutions as they are the only ones that don't require removing the carcass. In addition, mine are much more dramatic and fun.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Probably best to put 2 cats up there. That way they can breed to ensure that your roof does not become catless at some point.

Also put a pair of vultures up there to eat the dead carcasses of cats and lots of dung beetles to get rid of the other mess.

Too easy!