Connect with us

Make a LED Light with 22000 uf 350v Cap

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by brihaff, May 14, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. brihaff

brihaff

May 14, 2013
    I have a bunch of 22000 uf caps 350v that I would like to use to make a led light and how long do you think the led would stay lit

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Hi there
    welcome to the forums :)

A tiny fraction of a second till it lets the smoke out

Dave

3. Mongrel Shark

Mongrel Shark

Jun 6, 2012
    When you say lit, do you mean lit on fire? Because I find that depends on the amount of epoxy used in the led......

If you want to make the LED light up without blowing, you would only want to charge the cap to 4-5v and use a resistor appropriate for the led, and you might get a few seconds, or a brief flash. Depends on the led specs and what resistor you use. You need to controll the cap discharge though, or you just bet smoke and maybe some fire.

If you want an answer that is more helpful, you need to provide more info. What LED? how bright, and why. ie what do you want to do it for? what is your project?

4. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Are you sure they're 22,000 microfarads? A 350V capacitor of that value would be HUGE!

If that's really what you have, well, they would be able to store a fair amount of energy. You would need a high-efficiency high-voltage switching supply to convert the 350V down to a few volts to suit the LED. The converter would need a fairly wide input range, as the capacitor voltage would fall steadily over time. It's not a simple thing to do, but it's possible. IF you really have 22,000 uF 350V capacitors!

Ask a Question