Connect with us

major stress of railway track

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by alpita, Dec 26, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. alpita

alpita

Dec 26, 2015
    I want to major the stress of railway track by using strain gage or any other material. Can any one tell me by which I can major the stress of railway track??????

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    "major"? Do you mean "monitor"?

A strain gauge is suitable for this task. What have you researched about strain gauges so far? You will need a bridge type circuit to evaluate the signal from teh strain gauge. You will also have to eliminate noise and find the correct transformation of the strain gauge's signal to mechanical stress. Not to forget a reliable means of affixing the strain gauge sensor to the railway track.

3. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    Are you talking about a commercial railroad track? If so, you are talking about hundreds of tons of force, plus modifying the track. Is this legal where you are? Are you qualified to do this work?

ak

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    probably means measure LOL

5. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    A guy I used to work with now does this. There is nothing magical or exceptionally difficult about it except for the scale.

ak

6. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    No need to modify the track to apply strain gauges, but watch out for oncoming trains. It is important to clean the area where the gauge will be bonded to the sides of the track and attach the gauges with cyanoacyrlate adhesive (superglue). After soldering very small solid jumper wires from the gauge terminal pads to a terminal pad you can solder field wiring to the terminal pad. Finally, cover everything that is exposed with gauge coat, which dries to a tough rubbery consistency. Here is a nice video that shows how to do it. Also visit this web page for more information.

7. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    When I read Hop's reply I had visions of the OP prone on the ground with guns pointed at him by local and railroad police. This scene to be followed by arrest and interrogation by FBI, Homeland Security, TSA and a myriad of shadow agencies. Possibly MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) and the International Association Of Ferroequinologists.

Then I took a look at where the OP (alpita) is located. If any of the PBS programming that I've seen about the transportation system, ( I use the term very loosely ), in India has a modicum of truth, then absolutely no one is going to notice or care about him screwing around with the RR tracks. In fact Hop's suggestion of using superglue is a great idea because I think that's what Indian RR's use for track repair.

Chris

Ask a Question