Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Magnetic transmission?

Moha99

Nov 18, 2011
Put it under load and see what it takes to overcome that load and spin... I can only guess, but I suspect that you will find it will need to be HUGE to handle any real load... And at that size when is it practical?

For example if you need a house sized device (or even a room sized device) to transfer 100 ft/lbs of torque vs the traditional baseball sized metal gear tranny that does it fine, what application would this benefit and be practical?

That big it can't do anything useful?! Wow... Then barry this bad boy under the ground it isn't useful then hahaha

It can't carry anything I doubt It can lift a human being off the ground the gears will slip and that will be terribly bad lol.

So that torque is the force of pushing things that are heavy huh? Now I understand things even more :D!

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
That big it can't do anything useful?! Wow... Then barry this bad boy under the ground it isn't useful then hahaha

I honestly have no idea how big it would need to be for any task, it was only a hypothetical example...

What I do know is that even rare earth permanent magnets like Neodymium are only so powerful, you can't introduce super cooled or eletromagnents into the equation if efficiency is your end goal... Neodymium are strong little buggers but only at a perpendicular pull when at or near contact, a passive slide by or non-contact is exponentially less powerful as the distance increases so you have a huge lose there when designing a magnets tranny with no contact...

Moha99

Nov 18, 2011
I honestly have no idea how big it would need to be for any task, it was only a hypothetical example...

What I do know is that even rare earth permanent magnets like Neodymium are only so powerful, you can't introduce super cooled or eletromagnents into the equation if efficiency is your end goal... Neodymium are strong little buggers but only at a perpendicular pull when at or near contact, a passive slide by or non-contact is exponentially less powerful as the distance increases so you have a huge lose there when designing a magnets tranny with no contact...

Lets keep my goal under the realm of rare earth permanent magnets specifically Neodymium.

perpendicular pull? Could you give a more specific example I tried imagining it but its kinda confusing... I do plan to have this near each other very near not far away thats the goal.

+ Cooling it down would help? in what way would it?

Check out this video tell me what you think about it. "Magnetic Coupling" interesting idea... Although I think its the same as magnetic gears.

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Check out this video tell me what you think about it. "Magnetic Coupling" interesting idea... Although I think its the same as magnetic gears.

The torque levels are still pretty low. if he really wanted to demonstrated what sort of torque it was capable of he would have some sort of measuring device on there for all to see

This example is producing a much better "response" than that previous video and its real advantage may well be that you can keep the driven section on the outside of a waterproof vessel ... ie for boat prop drive etc

tis a much better example :)

Dave

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
perpendicular pull? Could you give a more specific example I tried imagining it but its kinda confusing..

Watch this video

You would be hard pressed to 'pull' those magnets apart (even with the wood spacer in between) but as you see sliding them apart isn't overly complicated... The transmission concept leans more towards the slide away attractions and thus is not utilizing the magnet fully...

+ Cooling it down would help? in what way would it?

Yes in dumbed down general terms, as you cool a magnet down the magnetic fields strength increases to a point... Different magnets will react differently, neodymium magnets will increase in strength to about -120° C any cooler and the effect is reversed... Same with heating, as you heat it will diminish...

On the new video it's basically just a clutch, it might have some applications...

Moha99

Nov 18, 2011
Watch this video

You would be hard pressed to 'pull' those magnets apart (even with the wood spacer in between) but as you see sliding them apart isn't overly complicated... The transmission concept leans more towards the slide away attractions and thus is not utilizing the magnet fully...

Yes in dumbed down general terms, as you cool a magnet down the magnetic fields strength increases to a point... Different magnets will react differently, neodymium magnets will increase in strength to about -120° C any cooler and the effect is reversed... Same with heating, as you heat it will diminish...

On the new video it's basically just a clutch, it might have some applications...

Interesting.

What do you personally think for magnets doing all this?

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
What do you personally think for magnets doing all this?

I think it's a novel idea that has very limited (at least current) applications... I can envision possible limited future applications in say a zero gravity environment like space where overall resistance is much lower...

Moha99

Nov 18, 2011
The torque levels are still pretty low. if he really wanted to demonstrated what sort of torque it was capable of he would have some sort of measuring device on there for all to see

This example is producing a much better "response" than that previous video and its real advantage may well be that you can keep the driven section on the outside of a waterproof vessel ... ie for boat prop drive etc

tis a much better example :)

Dave

I'd like to study this more do you think it could progress or its a dead end?

Moha99

Nov 18, 2011
I think it's a novel idea that has very limited (at least current) applications... I can envision possible limited future applications in say a zero gravity environment like space where overall resistance is much lower...

Aha really nice idea.

Thanks CocaCola :D