Connect with us

Magnetic force on current carrying conductor

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Muhammad Umair Khan, Mar 22, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Muhammad Umair Khan

Muhammad Umair Khan

Feb 20, 2018
    By principle of Lorentz Force, a current carrying conductor experiences a force if kept in a magnetic field. Then if the conductor is not allowed to move, does the magnet providing the magnetic field also experience an equal and opposite force on itself?

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
  3. Muhammad Umair Khan

Muhammad Umair Khan

Feb 20, 2018
    I was having doubts because I have never seen this in any kind of motor construction. Practically, Its always the conductor that is moving.
    I am designing a different kind of motor that may reply on the magnet moving instead of the conducting coil

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Take a brushed motor, hold it by the axle, the case will turn -> moving magnets.

No need to reinvent the wheel: look at synchronous motors, the rotor of which can be made from either permanent magnets or electromagnets.

5. Muhammad Umair Khan

Muhammad Umair Khan

Feb 20, 2018
    Thanks a lot. Your reply has provided the required reassurance. Not reinventing the wheel but the design is application specific and needs to be tweaked as such.

6. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Brushless motors generally have the coils fixed and the magnets moving.

bob

7. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Induction motors have aluminium coils in the rotor.

Ask a Question