Connect with us

Magnetic Door Lock

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by CluQu, Jul 3, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. CluQu

CluQu

May 22, 2013
    Lately I've been growing increasingly concerned about home security/safety. With that being said I don't fully trust the deadbolt lock on my door. My hope is to make the door unmoveable via a strong magnetic latch. Here's how I would like to get it to work...

Use an electromagnet attached to the wall, parallel with the door.
    Mount solid metal contact to door.
    When deadbolt is locked, the magnet kicks on and secures the door.
    When deadbolt is unlocked, the magnet turns off releasing the force from the door.

I do not know how to make a very strong magnet with the purposes of denying entry to my home. I have a couple Hall Effect sensors which I think might work, but really I would prefer a switching mechanism that didn't really on magnetism itself, so I will use though only if suggested. Another worry I have is if I make an electromagnet, will it get very hot?

:cool:

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    And when the burglars turn off the power to your house the magnetic latch also fails.

An electromagnet will consume power. There are many electromagnetic locks used for doors. In their case the fact they release when the power goes off is considered a good thing because it doesn't lock people in to a building if the power fails.

Another use for them is to hold fire doors open. When the alarm goes off, power is removed and the doors close by themselves. This means a fault will tend to leave the doors closed rather than open (but in neither case are they locked closed).

A simpler solution may be to have a lock which forces bolts upward and downward as well as sideways into the frame of the door. For the completely paranoid, you could get a door which has bolts all the way around it -- but these are generally limited so safes.

In either case, an intruder will just ignore the door and break a window.

Of more importance is the fact that you need to be able to exit your house in case of a fire or other emergency. I used to work for our fire brigade here and it was depressingly often that people were found dead just inside their deadlocked front doors when they had tried to exit and failed to remember to get the key.

3. john monks

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
    Why are Steve's remarks so xxx xxxx moot? I tend to agree with him. Electromagnets to get hot and cause your utility to go up. The door magnets I saw don't hold very well. Why not get yourself a Colt 45 semi-automatic pistol with a 7 round clip with 1 in the chamber for protection? Maybe I'm missing something?

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Sorry John

I couldn't leave his comments there.
    I wont stand for verbal abuse from anyone against our members

Dave

Ask a Question