Connect with us

Machine Tool Repair

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Machine Doctor 13, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Machine Doctor 13

Machine Doctor 13

Jul 13, 2019
    I want to replace an antiquated stepper relay with something more modern. The stepper relay is being used on an older Mazak turret lathe to give feedback to the CNC control and tell it what tool station is currently active.

The CNC control sends a 2 second +24 VDC signal to the coil of the stepper relay each time the program calls for a different tool to be used and their are 8 tools. I'm thinking their might be an 8 channel multiplexer circuit I can used such that every time a new tool is commanded a signal advances to another output from 1 to 8 depending on the tool desired.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

2. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    The best idea is to use the logic in the ladder, but unfortunately, Mazak which uses their own version of Mitsubishi control, makes it hard for any on-site changes to ladder.
    You may have to make use of the 2sec signal into a separate outboard PLC controller.
    Modern T.C. generally put tool away at the nearest empty pocket, and keep track of all tool positions, rather than travel around the carosel etc.
    If familiar with PLC programming that may be the cleanest way.
    M.

3. Machine Doctor 13

Machine Doctor 13

Jul 13, 2019
    I'm looking at a 4017 Decade Counter. This just might work.

4. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    Sir Machine Doctor . . . . . . (C'mon . . . . .show me YOUR confirmational sheepskin )

I was just reading as you wanting to replace an electromechanical. . . . old school . . . stepping relay. . . . Click (step). . . .Click (step) . . . Click . . . .(step) . . . .Click (step) . . . . . . . . . .CLUNK (reset) . . . with a silent all electronics solution.
    BUT . . . how many poles does it have with those 8 positions, and is it being uni (resets and counts up )or bi directional ( reversible direction, to take the shortest route) drive on the tool selection?

73's de Edd

Want to REALLY stymy someone . . . . .Send them a text message of . . . ." Ignore previous message. "
    Then you ignore all of their callbacks.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  5. Machine Doctor 13

Machine Doctor 13

Jul 13, 2019
    Kind of a witch doctor. And looking for other ideas so not a genius either.
    It is unidirectional. Only counts up so right now I'm looking into using a 4017 Decade Counter which was suggested by two people.

Ask a Question