Maker Pro
Maker Pro

MACH 1.2 Ping Pong Ball

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
After the thread about DIY coil guns the how fruitlessly impractical they are for the hobbyist to build to any real level of function, I bring you this...

http://www.tested.com/science/physi...=maing-grid7|main5|dl12|sec3_lnk1&pLid=279028

An amazingly simple design that plays on physics that has phenomenal results (at of course very close range) for what it is... Something I might build just to say 'Look What I Can Do' with my ping pong ball gun...

The part I found most interesting is that the guy was able to get near MACH speeds with nothing more than the vacuum and atmospheric pressure that is only about 14 PSI... Of course it's clear why as there was literally nothing in front of the ball but just the same, it's a very clever proof of concept...

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The last test took guts.

GonzoEngineer

Dec 2, 2011
I have been wanting to build something to test the Massachussetts Firearms laws for several years now.

It would be fun to send a 50 Caliber projectile down range with 3 times the velocity of a Barrett!

Coilguns are for kids, I want to build a Rail Gun!:D

"Show me your Firearms ID Card!"

"Sorry Officer, I don't have one, and besides this isn't classified as a firearm by current statutes, so **** Off!"

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
Rail Guns are awesome Gonzo, a friend of mine built a simple one for a high school project, it was just a sealed tube with some capacitors, timing circuit and electromagnets, once he got all the details ironed out it shot some little metal fragments pretty well.

I need to try this out (both above listed project and rail gun) now that I know what Im doing