Connect with us

Lowering voltage

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by john2k, Dec 23, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. john2k

john2k

Jun 13, 2012
    I have a power boosted external tv antenna which comes with a power supply that delivers 6V DC but my receiver box also delivers voltage so i am not using the 6V DC power supply supplied with the antenna.

This is working fine, however, when measuring the voltage that my receiver is supplying to the antenna with a multimeter, it reads over 12VDC whereas the power supply supplied with the antenna reads 6VDC. Although its working with the receivers 12VDC, i am concerned that i may be damaging it. So my question is, what is the best way to reduce the voltage inline that does not have much of a Forward Current as i'm sure the current being delivered by the receiver is very low and therfore anything used up by a limitor will only cause problems. Any suggestions on easiest and simplest inline solution? Perhaps a Zener diode? if so any particular one?

Thanks

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    You can use a Zener but dollar for dollar regular power diodes are cheaper, you will just need to use more of them... For regular diode just figure about a 0.7V drop per diode...

Ask a Question