Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Low value resistors

Rajinder

Jan 30, 2016
Hi,
I have a application in which i am switching low value resistors i. e. 0.1R, 0.2R, 0.4R etc to a unit under test.
I have come across a problem, track resistance and cable resistance which override the resistor values.
These are software selectable so need relays to switch them to the end circuit.
Is there any other way I can achieve this?
Ideally I need to keep the track lengths on the PCB the same or use them on planes so the resistance remains the same.
Any thoughts?
Best regards,
Rajinder

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
How good is your software?
Can you factor-in the resistance of the circuits, and then zero the value so that it reads the resistors for your test?

Rajinder

Jan 30, 2016
No, the software just selects the value required, switches the relay and that's it.
So I need help with the hardware side.
It's proving tricky.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
No, the software just selects the value required, switches the relay and that's it.
So I need help with the hardware side.
It's proving tricky.

OK so you need to factor in the resistance of the circuit to and from the resistance and select a suitable resistance to give the appropriate value
and even that is going to be almost impossible because of the low values you want to use

what is the project ..... what is it supposed to achieve ??

Dave

Last edited:

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I used to know someone who earned a living building custom motor testing equipment. He used some really big reed relays to switch the various motor currents. He custom-built reed relays by purchasing the reed switches, which were custom-made with certain alloy contacts to his specifications. IIRC there were some pretty stiff voltage hold-off, switching time, and current requirements for both make and break operation. It cost him a fortune for these switches, but he passed the cost on to his one and only customer.

He mounted several of these in the same coil form for multi-pole switching. And his current-carrying conductors were large to minimize ohmic losses. So maybe you can go this route. Find some big-ass reed switches, add a coil around one or several of them, and use really heavy wire to reduce series ohmic resistance.

But as Dave asked: please tell us what you are trying to DO. Maybe we can think of other alternatives.

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
Are you measuring the resistances?, a four wires connection could help, but as the other members has said, what is the purpose?

Rajinder

Jan 30, 2016
Ok. The resistance values are inserted in series with a 3V supply to alarm units. This way we can introduce high impedance battery faults into alarm units.