Connect with us

Low SMPS current output

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by mido_ameer, Nov 9, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. mido_ameer

mido_ameer

Nov 9, 2012
    I have 12VDC switching power supply adapter of my ADSL router
    when I connect it to the mains the router doesn't come on, it has to stay 3 days until the router switches on and operate.
    when I tested the power supply's output volt it is 12V (11.88V), but when I connect a load (12VDC-150mA computer fan) the voltage drops to 2.5V, where even the fan cannot rotate.
    I tried to change the opto-coupler and its switching transistor but no result.
    Can anybody got the knowledge help me, please.

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Get a new power supply. You're dealing with dangerous voltages here and if you don't know what you do you risk your life.

Harald

3. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Word of advice... It's generally NOT a good idea to leave improperly or not functioning items plugged in, especially for 3 days :confused: this can lead to very bad things, like fires...

As Harald said just get a new wall wart, they are about $5 delivered from China... Just match the mA rating to what the router needs plus at least 25% the higher the rating the better even if it's 2 or 3 times what you need as long as it's cost effective...

4. mido_ameer

mido_ameer

Nov 9, 2012
    Thanks guys

Thank you guys for replying, but I was wondering how to fix it to know more about switching power supplies and learn it :D

Ask a Question