Connect with us

Low cost SMT links

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Andy Graves, Jun 10, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Andy Graves

Andy Graves

Jun 10, 2017
    Hi everyone,
    I am trying to find low-cost, high current SMD links? All I can find seem to be expensive as they are part of current sensing ranges, or low current as they are part of film resistor ranges.
    Does anyone know of inexpensive solid copper or aluminium bars on SMT reels?
    thanks
    Andy

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    How much current do they have to carry? There are 0 Ohm resistors, which is what I use for jumpers.

Bob

3. Andy Graves

Andy Graves

Jun 10, 2017
    Hi Bob,
    I am looking for continuous of 5A peak 10A.
    Thanks
    Andy

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Okay, I see why those tiny 0Ω resistors might not work!

Bob

5. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    Digi-Key offers Keystone brand jumpers in various sizes. Copper bars that are silver plated. Available on tape reels and as cut tape. See here.

Ummm, how would you attach aluminum bars to a circuit board? Miniature TIG welder?

6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You can get plain cylindrical copper jumpers in reels (you can also get it with tin, and sometimes even silver plating). It's pretty amazing stuff because it allows you to select the length you require as you take it off the reel using a special tool.

The trade name for these jumpers are "wire"

hevans1944 likes this.
Ask a Question