Connect with us

Lost Electricity

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by mikec82, Sep 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikec82

mikec82

Sep 2, 2017
    We have a light bulb above where we stand in the shower. When I went to change the light bulb, the base came loose, hanging by the wire.

https://imgur.com/a/9MgSq
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the image, you can see two nuts at the top. This is where the base should have been connected. When I tried to connect it back to the base, it sparked/popped. I left it hanging and took this picture, only now it has a new light bulb in it. The light is not coming on now, nor are the other two ceiling lights in the bathroom that are connected to the same light switch. I checked the circuit breaker, but nothing had tripped.

Is there anything I can do, or do I need to call an electrician? Can anyone help explain the spark/pop?

2. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    Welcome to EP!
    Your pics don't show up. Post them here using the 'Upload a file' button.

3. Irv

Irv

Jun 7, 2017
    You need to shut off the circuit breaker to that light! Sparking is a big no-no, and in this case, you have 3 options: fire, electrocution, or call an electrician. Shut off the breaker first.

Trying to connect it back to the base without shutting off the power is a good indication that you aren't safe doing it yourself.

hevans1944 likes this.
  4. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Get an electrician before you kill yourself or worse, someone else.

hevans1944 likes this.
  5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Please take the advice of the responders above

thread closed

hevans1944 likes this.
Ask a Question