Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Lost a Pad on logic board...help!

seaspray99

Nov 5, 2012
Hi I'm replacing the lcd connector on the Ipod Touch 4th gen motherboard and I have lost one of the pads at the end (see attached pic) are these used or just to tack the connector in place as there are 17 pads but only 15 resistors? on the damaged pad side? If it is a problem can it be fixed or 'got round' by connecting a wire to the 'padless' pin and soldering the other end to where it should go?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 186

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi there
welcome to the forums :)

doesnt look like its being used, as with a few others

Dave

seaspray99

Nov 5, 2012
Thanks, nice to hear good news for a change :) first time I've changed a connector so I wont start getting too optimistic just yet changing it should be fun.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
:) you have learnt your lesson...

In future, go easy with the soldering iron. It takes very little excess heat to lift pads off the board

Dave

seaspray99

Nov 5, 2012
Yes I have :)

As a matter of interest if I had to fix the pad (or another pad as I've lost the original) back to the board what adhesive would I use?

Presumably I'd scrape the green coating back to fix the new pad?

Thanks for your replies and time it's very much appreciated btw :)

Dave

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
As a matter of interest if I had to fix the pad (or another pad as I've lost the original) back to the board what adhesive would I use?

Presumably I'd scrape the green coating back to fix the new pad?

Generally you don't bother trying to fix bad bad pads, it's not worth the trouble for the quality of the fix you get in most cases... You can re-glue it down with common super glue as long as you don't overheat it too long when soldering... Or invest is some overly expensive high temp epoxies designed for the purpose...

In most case you would install a jumper wire from point A to point B bypassing the failed trace, or you can scrap back some of the resist (green film) and solder on a short section of wire to make the jump to the components pin...

seaspray99

Nov 5, 2012
If you look at the above picture is there any way of knowing if the pad thats missing would be needed and if so how would I find out where the trace goes too? Thanks

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
If you look at the above picture is there any way of knowing if the pad thats missing would be needed and if so how would I find out where the trace goes too? Thanks

IF there were traces to those pads there would be remains of the traces.
As I said in my earlier post it doesnt look like those pads were being used
other than to help hold the component in place

dave