Connect with us

Looking for remote wall switch

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by amdx, Nov 24, 2013.

  1. Pluck smartphone out of pocket, key in unlock code, swipe a page or
    two over to the app, jab it a couple more times, done, go back to
    waiting in queue for morning take-out coffee.

    Best regards,
    Spehro Pefhany
  2. I would kill it dead.

    Best regards,
    Spehro Pefhany
  3. "dave" wrote in message
    Interesting. The X10 Website seems to have disappeared, along with the bargain
    prices. Their customer- and technical-service office used to be around the
    corner, in Renton.
  4. Guest

    Ahem. That is not the common usage of "two-way" or "three-way".[/QUOTE]

    Sure it is. The appliance can be turned on or off from two or three
    (or N) locations.
  5. Guest

    IME, the "newer lines" are a lot more expensive and no more reliable
    (if that good).
  6. Guest is still around. It's apparently owned by SmartHome, now.
  7. wrote in message
  8. Guest

  9. amdx

    amdx Guest

    And all I want is a switch that will turn the kitchen light on and
    off, from about 18 ft away without, and I don't want to add wiring.
    I want it to act like what normally is called a 3* way switch.
    I want the existing kitchen switch to at least look about the same,
    being aware that the wiring/components may be different.
    I would like it to drive a CFL bulb.
    This model has a huge presence on the web,
    I says 500 watt incandescent lighting only. I see writings about these
    types of receivers needing some leakage current, I'm tempted to get one
    and try it.
    At this point I have remote switch overload.

    Thanks all, Mikek

    *Searching the net I see, 2 way switch and 3 way switch are often used
    to describe the same thing
  10. These terms have a specific meaning that refers to a hard-wired connection.
    Not in this case.

    If multiple wireless switches can be installed to activate lights or
    appliances, then you have an N-way setup.
  11. A diffuser?

  12. Guest

    WTF are you talking about?
  13. SO you're saying the "CLAPPER" which I didn't see listed, would be a
    better choice?

  14. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Ahem. That is not the common usage of "two-way" or "three-way".[/QUOTE]
    Perhaps, but the effect is exactly the same: if light is on, any
    switch can turn it off - and vice-versa.
  15. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    The device i mentioned needs no added wiring, and does not need a
    hole in the wall for the switch,which is a flat panel with a rocker-type
  16. hamilton

    hamilton Guest

    Sounds like an opportunity for some enterprising engineer !

    Ya up to the challenge ?
  17. ehsjr

    ehsjr Guest

    While accurate, that may create the wrong impression that it's
    ok to use a non dim-able CFL with a module that includes the
    dimming function.

    If the module includes a dimming function and dims
    (or attempts to) a CFL that is not dim-able, you
    will likely burn out the CFL.

  18. amdx

    amdx Guest

    That"s it, the string kept breaking, I'll change to fish line, much

    Thanks, Mikek
  19. amdx

    amdx Guest

    Sorry, I think I needed educating before I knew what the requirements
    and constraints of my project were!
    I consider myself appropriately chastised.
    But, I'll probably make the same mistake again. :-/

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day