Connect with us

Looking for part name

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by [email protected], Oct 26, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guest

    I need to build a custom electrical connection for a hobby project.
    Back in the days when I used to help build cable, we had stocks of male
    and female pins that we inserted into RS-232 cable terminators. I would
    like to get solderable pins/recepticles of this type to make my own

    What would these be called in major catalog?

    It looks like has the MALES under "MOLEX Pins",
    MP-100 but not the females.

    I thought "contacts" would be the right term but, Digikey e.g.,
    "Contacts, see connectors" nothing under Connectors, contacts.
  2. Peter Howard

    Peter Howard Guest

    I had precisely this problem the week before last when I used the last of
    about 200 I had. I thought they were called Molex receptacles too.
    Go to and search for HP1260 in the top left keyword/
    box.. Click picture for an enlarged view. That's what I was looking for.
    $4.25AU for a packet of 25. Ouch. They have an insulation holding ring crimp
    and a further crimp to grip the bared wire. You break them off the bearer
    strip. I add a tiny amount of solder and some heatshrink. Slide firmly onto
    a .9mm PCB stake. This is an Australian website and you're probably not in
    Australia. But if this is what you have in mind and if you are

  3. Might be called "insertable contacts" or "insertable pins/sockets".

    There are many connector families that have insertable contacts -
    since you mention the ones you used were in RS-232 connectors, look
    for Canon or AMP D-Subminature connectors. Both makes come in
    insertable-contact versions, and the insertable pins and sockets
    should be listed near the connectors that they fit.

    Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
    peterbb4 (at)
    new newsgroup users info :
    GPS and NMEA info:
    Vancouver Power Squadron:
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day