Connect with us

Looking for connector name

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by amdx, Dec 10, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. amdx

    amdx Guest

  2. Shaun

    Shaun Guest

    That's an old style of power connector. I doubt that you'll be able to find
    a new one.

    Why don't you hard wire a cord into it.

  3. Gerard Bok

    Gerard Bok Guest

  4. amdx

    amdx Guest

    Surplus is fine.
  5. amdx

    amdx Guest

    I have one cord and an osc.and Q meter that use that style plug.
    I'm tired of switching the cord.
    I have thought about installing a new connector into one of them.
  6. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest

    It looks like the one that came with our electric frying pan in the 1950's.

    Do you still have the connector that the pic shows? If so, just splice it
    onto a new cord.

    For some reason, I feel impelled to suggest browsing various thrift shops,
    Goodwill stores, etc, where they might have old waffle irons and such.

    Good Luck!
  7. Andrew Holme

    Andrew Holme Guest

    I posted the exact same question here with the subject "1970s mains
    connector" about one year ago and was referred to Sphere, from whom I
    ordered a cable, and was also given:

    Volex Part No.17952 8 B1
    Mouser Part No. 686-17952

    from where I ordered another. But it looks like Mouser are out of stock
  8. amdx

    amdx Guest

    The cord is $19 + $12 shipping and then they say it can take 8 weeks or
    $23 shipping and 5 days.
    I'm now thinking of just hardwiring a cord to one of the units.
    Thanks everybody, I now know where to get one if I decide to.
    I see Sphere has my $40 HP 651A for $295. I bought it 10 years ago at a
    hamfest. I should have bought
    more, the guy had a truckload of HP equipment.
  9. Guest

    That's because it is an "OLD STYLE OF POWER CONNECTOR". ;-) The change-over
    to the IEC style connector happened in the early '70s (HP was the first to use
    the IEC style, IIRC). Before then, this was a very common power cord
  10. Jamie

    Jamie Guest

  11. Jeez, just cut the tail off the old one, and splice it onto a new

    The tail is all you need.

    'bout the only ones you'll find online are IEC types, and that one
    looks a little pre-IEC.

    I have a PDF sheet of all the IEC types somewhere. Don't think many
    use round pins though, so that and the low model number tells me it is an

    Fashion power for it, and continue looking for the real item afterward.
    That way, you get to use it, and show and tell it while you are looking
    for the replacement part..

    A good place to look are 'industrial liquidators' and 'military
    surplus' stores. Hunt for those.


    Firmly Grounded in Reality
  12. It's an antique electronics item that actually *has* some value. Don't
    kill it by hacking at it.
    Same answer.

    Naaah... don't let 'em see you coming. Find a shop and go hunting.
    Likey get the whole piece of gear it is attached to cheaper than the cord
    would cost through one of the rapists out there.
    Hahahaha! Bingo! Get one of those 3D printer things and build it up,
    press fit the sleeves in, and build up the "back shell" (strain

  13. Doubtful that they would have anything other than IEC configurations.

    Not referring to the hospital grade, NEMA, etc. stuff. ALL the "North
    American" cords are IEC.

  14. You're on an acid flashback, boy.

  15. Damn, John! You're the man! Those suckers are new!

    That site gives me an ides too.

    The stuff we have around here would add up to a ton of items like she
    has. I would like to sell her her next stocks.

    Then, take the money, and when we need something (including such a
    kit), we just buy it. I'd rather get rid of them and buy one later, than
    have a shitload of them and not even need a single one.

    We probably have a ton of handle sets alone, because so many pieces of
    gear we sell go out the door without them, let alone most of the 50 labs
    worth a tons of racks and such gear.

    Hell, we could resupply HP themselves. And Cisco.

  16. Even better. I have full on "entry modules" that have a canned up
    filtration box behind the connector.

    Scrapped out of spring cleaned engineering labs. I jus' LUVS
    electronic company dumpsters (or did in the way back when) (not allowed
    here). I have a LOT of brand new parts. Little 'diallite' hermetically
    sealed, gold leaded rugged LEDS that were $35 each way back when.

    I do get to collect things like those $5 each frozen brick things that
    come in the coolers we get some materials in every day.

    Great cooler stuffers. Even better when free. Got tons of 'em, and
    should sell them at the swap meet for $3 each. Make that killing...

    after ten years of it I might make a dime or two :)
  17. Gerard Bok

    Gerard Bok Guest

    From the pictures, it looks like the plug that is still used in
    Brasil. Actually, I think this socket was also present in early
    US manufactured desktop calculators.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day