Connect with us

Looking for Clarification on Some Things

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by supersuit, May 21, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. supersuit

supersuit

May 21, 2012
    Item 1:

I have a power supply which has an output of 12V and 500mA. I need to extend the wire about 15 feet.

Is it correct to say that I need to use the same guage wire to extend?

It is my understanding that a heavier guage wire = greater resistence. In turn, this will cause the power supply to work harder to provide the required power over the heavier guage wire thereby shortening the life of the power supply. Is this correct?

Item 2:

I have a power adapter which has an output of 12V and 2A. Is it correct to say that I can hook up multiple 12V devices, as long as the total amps required does not exceed 2A?

Thank you in advance for answering my questions. I look forward to refreshing my memory here.

SS

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi there
    welcome to the forums :)

No, heavier gauge = less resistance :)

yes thats correct dont exceed a total of 2A

Dave

3. alfa88

alfa88

Dec 1, 2010
    Perhaps your wire confusion stems from wire gauge numbering. I speak of AWG(American Wire Gauge). Who thought this scheme up? The larger the number the smaller the wire. Ergo the larger the gauge # the more resistance. But then past #1 gauge they change it around and the scale goes to 1/0(1 aught), 2/0, etc. and the higher the aught # the larger the wire. Just remember the bigger the conductor the less resistance. And copper has less resistance than aluminum.

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Brown & Sharpe

And ironically the AWG has a very close relationship to the resistance of the wire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

So it's not based on total nonsense ;)

Ask a Question