Connect with us

looking for circuit designer for a youth project

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Jakob Kaye, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Jakob Kaye

Jakob Kaye

Oct 10, 2014
    Hi

i am looking for someone to help me design lots of circuit boards for an ongoing youth project i am planning. currently there is no funding but if i can find someone out there who is authentic, reliable, creative and a very clear communicator, i should be able to turn this into a viable business whereby i would split any money fairly and accordingly.

The projects will all be LED based and battery powered, mostly probably very simple but my electronic skills are basic, therefore i am looking for someone with experience to help me.

Please message me if you are interested and have some time to put into this kind of thing over the coming months. if you are serious we shall hopfully embark on a fun design journey which should result in some money too if things go to plan.

If you are wondering why i dont approach a local electronics engineer the answer is because i live in an extremely rural area where i can barely find a plumber let alone a person who builds electronic circuit boards. i see no reason why the information involved and a design team cannot be managed effectively using emails, skype etc. we are in the 21st century!

Thanks for reading

Jakob

2. Colin Mitchell

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
    Look on Talking Electronics.com website for LED and transistor projects

3. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun So long, and Thanks for all the Fish!

Aug 27, 2013
    Jakob Kaye,

Welcome to EP!

There are many, many existing "electronic kits" already on the market....Not saying there isn't room for another, but "LED based and battery powered" certainly would not distinguish a new kit from the existing field. The problem I see is that LEDs on the one hand are very simple devices, on the other hand designing efficient drivers for them requires fairly extensive skills in electronics....skills certainly beyond the scope of a "kit". On a "basic level" LEDs can be driven with a battery and a resistor....Teaching someone how to calculate the resistance required for a particular LED is fairly trivial....The "next level" of driver is a "constant current driver" (typically a member of the SMPS family...SMPS = Switch Mode Power Supply, .....there are certainly "analog" CV/CC technologies, but these tend to be even less efficient than a simple resistor...). SMPS circuits are generally specialized for particular applications or designed to be "variable" within specific Supply & Output Ranges (For instance 85Vac to 285Vac input 18Vdc to 36Vdc @ 500mA output...) In any case SMPS design is not really suited for a "kit"...there are readily available CV/CC drivers....but a pre-built driver doesn't really offer much of a "lesson". Perhaps a "cool" project might be experiments with IR LED Rx/Tx modules....but in order to do any "teaching" one would need micro controllers and/or an oscilloscope. Just about everyone seems interested in LASER LEDs, but the safety/liability issues here pretty much preclude marketing to minors. Fiber Optics offers some interesting experiments, but again requires fairly specialized equipment/knowledge.....Etc, Etc....The problem is that the assumed target audience is people between the ages of 8 and 18 with disposable income and the vast majority of these people already have some of the most sophisticated electronic devices in the world....in order to "impress" them with electronics you will have to compete with their iPhones/iPods/Laptops/Tablets/GameBoys/PlayStations etc, etc....most of which are capable of "simulating" everything you could ever conceive of putting in a kit....and available "free".

Anyway, putting all of that aside, if you would like "help" with any particular circuit, I am certain people here will help....going from a schematic to a Printed Circuit Board is not likely something that you will get much help with other than "general advice" about techniques/software/vendors....If I might recommend something? Perhaps YOU should spend some time learning about LEDs and LED Drivers before you begin designing kits... I have been fascinated with LEDs since way back in the 70's when the warm glow from the red LEDs in my stereo system illuminated my room....I thought, "Why can't we use LEDs for lighting...." Some 30 years later I finally achieved "suitable" LED lighting and have designed/built numerous fixtures just slightly ahead of similar mass-produced products...typically for only 5X to 10X what the mass produced products sell for! I am currently working on economical fixtures to replace 8ft Fluorescent tubes in my business....the major hurdle there is "economical".....So, do some due-diligence on existing kits, familiarize yourself with LED technology, do some research on driving LEDs and when you need help with a schematic for a particular circuit, by all means post it and I am confident you will get help solving any problems.

Fish

4. Jakob Kaye

Jakob Kaye

Oct 10, 2014
    Thanks for the web links, I will check those out.

Fish, thank you too, I think you are right I will learn more about LED drivers! I just hoped I could partner up with someone who had the hours of knowledge and skills in their veins already. My spare time is rather restricted due to my 2 jobs and 3 young children but I can see this as the best way forward.. self reliance!

5. Anon_LG

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
    I can help you if you get any issues with the schematics for your circuits, I agree with fish4fun however, Especially the part on learning about electronics before setting up a business and/or getting a grant.

6. Jakob Kaye

Jakob Kaye

Oct 10, 2014
    I did an electronics module at university as part of my engineering degree but it was a while ago! I plan to brush up and get back into it. Thanks everyone, it has given me a bit of a confidence boost to just try to teach myself if you think that is the best way forward..

7. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Why dont you just tell us what you want to do. I love helping people and its for free so give it a shot. I cant see it being that difficult to be honest.
    Adam

8. Jakob Kaye

Jakob Kaye

Oct 10, 2014
    Hi Adam, I have a number of projects I want to learn how to make with a group: Here are some examples: 1. a flickering LED candle. 2. a colour changing LED light. 3. A mini traffic light etc..

9. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Ok thats sound simple. Are these school kids that you want to build circuits?

10. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Ok some questions.
    Can you order electronic components
    Are you able to assemble electronic components on bread board
    Do you want a PCB designed for you.
    What interaction from the group do you want, press buttons or just switch power on.
    What do you want the colour changing LEDs to do, lots of colours or just RGB.
    How much is this to cost.
    Adam

11. Colin Mitchell

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
    1. a flickering LED candle.
    talkingelectronics.com\projects\ArcWelder\ArcWelder.html
    talkingelectronics.com\projects\PIC Fx\PIC_FX-1.html
    2. a colour changing LED light
    colour change LED $1.50
    3. A mini traffic light
    TrafficLights-1.gif