Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Looking for an experienced custom gadget maker..

MKANET

Jun 3, 2012
I lost touch with the person that used to make me very professional custom gadgets. His work looked so professional, the gadgets looks like consumer electronics products I could buy from the store.

So, now... Im on the quest to find someone someone who has lots of electronics and fabrication experience, does super clean work, and has access to pro materials.

Work I need done:
The work revolves around an existing irreplaceable consumer product smallest consumer USB wireless transmitter ever produced (not manufactured anymore).

This is a great product, however, unfortunately the transmitter and the "base" it plugs into become this awkward L shaped device; which require an AC power cable to power it.

I would like it to be taken apart and converted to be much more space-efficient flat enclosure, not L shaped. Also, I need it to accommodate appropriate replaceable consumer batteries.

The below demonstration basically does what I want; except I need the device to look less home-made; and, if there's any room for a smaller enclosure, that would be ideal. My device is a newer version than the one shown in the demo below, but it's internal electronics should be very close.

http://petetek.blogspot.com/2009/05/petetether-11-wireless-usb-portable.html

If you know of someone that can do this kind of work, please let me know. I would gladly pay a very fair price to have this done.

Thanks in advance,
MKANET

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
What kind of volume are we looking at? I'm capable of doing this in a small to medium volume, but not large scale and price would of course be reflective of the low volume size...

I'm also capable of just doing a 1 off but don't expect a one off to come cheap, using an over the counter 'hobby' box will save substantially but will still maintain the 'DIY' look, if you want a custom plastic enclosure tailor made to fit, that will exponentially increase the cost... I have access to the facilities to do low volume castings or fabrication, even single one off units but they don't exactly come cheap as there is tooling charges that have to be paid and absorbed into a single unit...

I don't know what you honestly expect to pay or what you would consider a fair price, custom work is costly in the end, and most people are sticker shocked in todays world when you can get dirt cheap mass produced items for pennies on the dollar over what custom stuff cost...

MKANET

Jun 3, 2012
Hi CocaCola,

I probably didn't make this clear. I only need 1. Even if I wanted to do a high volume, I couldn't since the only company that made these super tiny wireless USB kits isn't in business anymore. In fact, the one I bought was the last remaining one that I could find online brand new; hence, why I called it irreplaceable.

There are a variety of existing enclosures that should hopefully require relatively minor modification from places like:
http://www.newageenclosures.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=1
or
http://www.polycase.com/

So, it may "look" sort of like a hobbist gadget; but, with clean work and clever design with existing materials that most novices can't pull off.

My ultimate focus is:

1. Overall small size including batteries.
2. Longest possible run-time (before the batteries need to be replaced.
3. To be able to replace the batteries very quickly/conveniently.

The way it looks is not that critical to me since it won't be visible to anyone except for screenshots on webpages showing off the custom gadget.

PS: One idea I didn't think of until just now.. If you calculate that the batteries would die very quickly, we could use "non-removable" rechargeable battery in the device; plugging in an AC adapter cable once every night to let it recharge.

Please PM me so we can move forward...
MKANET

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I will drop you a PM either later tonight or tomorrow, when I have more time to get my thought processed... The problem I see with using an over the counter project box is the battery choices, it really limits your battery options unless you want to unscrew an screw the box together with each battery swap...

And last but not least, let me know upfront via PM or what, what kind of budget you are expecting for this project... I know that you might think someone will use that to jack the price up, but I just need to know if you are serious or not before I devote too much time... I work 'cheaper' than a dedicated development shop, but I don't work for minimum wage either, so consider that if hypothetically spend 10 hours on a project and say charge $20 an hour, it's going to cost $200+materials for the project...

BTW most dedicated prototype shops will charge in excess of $50 an hour, I have been quoted in excess of $100/hour on a project I tried to sub out once to a firm in India...

MKANET

Jun 3, 2012
Don't worry. This is very similar to the arrangement I had before. It looks like youre actaully going to give me a good deal.

Thank you and looking forward to your PM!

I will drop you a PM either later tonight or tomorrow, when I have more time to get my thought processed... The problem I see with using an over the counter project box is the battery choices, it really limits your battery options unless you want to unscrew an screw the box together with each battery swap...

And last but not least, let me know upfront via PM or what, what kind of budget you are expecting for this project... I know that you might think someone will use that to jack the price up, but I just need to know if you are serious or not before I devote too much time... I work 'cheaper' than a dedicated development shop, but I don't work for minimum wage either, so consider that if hypothetically spend 10 hours on a project and say charge $20 an hour, it's going to cost $200+materials for the project...

BTW most dedicated prototype shops will charge in excess of $50 an hour, I have been quoted in excess of $100/hour on a project I tried to sub out once to a firm in India...

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I will get to it, just need to wrap up a project for my daughters first and foremost today... I'm turning their wagon into a faux '57 Chev'ish car for the local community parade on Saturday... That project has less than a 24 hour window now, and I'm burning the candle at both ends, stayed up all night working on it...

MKANET

Jun 3, 2012
No problem. BTW, I can't send PM's yet on this forum. Could you please send me a quick email? It doesnt have to say much, as long as I know it's you.

Thanks and good luck with your daughter's project!

-MKANET
michael {at} mka {dot} net

MKANET

Jun 3, 2012
CocaCola, check your PM. I finally have enough posts to send a PM. Thanks.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I will get back to you tonight I promised, I ended up doing a 60 hour no sleep marathon to get that project mentioned completed, and I'm just now rolling out of bed after a 17 hour recovery sleep binge... Everything is a little off right now :)

All lined up and ready for the community parade in their newly converted '57 Step 2 wagon...

wagon.jpg

MKANET

Jun 3, 2012
Wow, nice demo of your work. Very cute kids. Take your time until your mind clears...

I will get back to you tonight I promised, I ended up doing a 60 hour no sleep marathon to get that project mentioned completed, and I'm just now rolling out of bed after a 17 hour recovery sleep binge... Everything is a little off right now :)

All lined up and ready for the community parade in their newly converted '57 Step 2 wagon...

wagon.jpg

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Hey CC! Norm Abrams has nothing on you! Brrrrrmmm ;)

Chris

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Hey CC! Norm Abrams has nothing on you! Brrrrrmmm ;

If I had the time and budget to make it out of wood it would have been damn skippy, instead I had 3 days and two sheets of foam insulation board to work with :) To bad the politically correct and thus fixed judging at the parade only awarded us third prize... We one 1st place last year with an over the top wagon that wiped out the rest of the entries by a long shot... This year I expected the other parents to rise to the occasion and set the goal higher, and try to compete... But, apparently there is no longer a goal to exceed or rise to the occasion in today's society, instead we shun those that exceed and award those that just try, attempt or just participate... All I heard the entire time was how over the top our wagon was, constant picture taking with the wagon and over the top attention about it, only to have the judges place us 3rd overall, to bunch of 'Huhs?' and bewilderment from the crowd... Doesn't really matter to me as it was for my girls to stand above the rest and I will go even more over the top next year and the year after just to prove a point that the judges are playing favorites...

Adam Carolla's rant pretty much sums up my exact opinion on today's politically correct society (NOT SAFE FOR WORK) it's about The Occupy Wall Street movement but the same argument applies to society as a whole, IMO

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
CC considering the foul mood you're in you can get more of that to pick up your spirits. Google "Drinking With Bob" and "Sheriff Bill". I always feel better afterward. We all know or should know who the chief purveyor of class envy is (actually - "are"- plural), so remember that in November. One giant FLUSH! :D

Chris

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Not, in a foul mood... I actually expect it, and have come to terms with it just being the way people are, so it's just a rant...

Have you ever looked at the people at say Comic Con and some of the costumes that look as if they are right off the set of the movie? Well for years I have made costumes of that caliber, top of the line theatrical quality creations that cost $1000 upon $1000s of dollars and have hundreds upon hundreds of hours invested in them... In fact there are several people at Comic Con wearing stuff I have created or had a hand in... Only to lose a costume contest to someone that spray painted a box silver, punched a few holes in it and deems themselves a robot.. It makes no sense, and shows a biased towards those that excel and push the limits... It's not a one off thing either, it happens all the time I have seen it repeated over an over again, to the point that I have stopped entering any costume contest and just do it for myself now... That was until I had my daughters, now they will shine due to my skill set and they give me the satisfaction :) ... BTW my older daughter won first prize at the community costume contest last year, wanna take bets that the same community committee doesn't award her first this year, to be politically correct even though her costume will likely excel over all the store purchased $10 ones?

Anyway back to your regularly scheduled programming, I have work to do and sleep to catch up on...

MKANET

Jun 3, 2012
Now you know why I wanted you to design a solution for my project. I may not know much about electronics. However, it's pretty clear to me I have found the very best person for my project. Although, my project is not near as involved as a theatrical quality costume from scratch.

-Michael

Not, in a foul mood... I actually expect it, and have come to terms with it just being the way people are, so it's just a rant...

Have you ever looked at the people at say Comic Con and some of the costumes that look as if they are right off the set of the movie? Well for years I have made costumes of that caliber, top of the line theatrical quality creations that cost $1000 upon $1000s of dollars and have hundreds upon hundreds of hours invested in them... In fact there are several people at Comic Con wearing stuff I have created or had a hand in... Only to lose a costume contest to someone that spray painted a box silver, punched a few holes in it and deems themselves a robot.. It makes no sense, and shows a biased towards those that excel and push the limits... It's not a one off thing either, it happens all the time I have seen it repeated over an over again, to the point that I have stopped entering any costume contest and just do it for myself now... That was until I had my daughters, now they will shine due to my skill set and they give me the satisfaction :) ... BTW my older daughter won first prize at the community costume contest last year, wanna take bets that the same community committee doesn't award her first this year, to be politically correct even though her costume will likely excel over all the store purchased $10 ones?

Anyway back to your regularly scheduled programming, I have work to do and sleep to catch up on...