Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Looking for a simple, yet interesting summer project.

kyjosh

Dec 15, 2009
I'll preface this by saying that I'm an Engineering Technology student studying to be an Electronics Technician. So I'm more of the "use someone else's diagram to build it" type than I am the "engineer something out of the blue" type.

I came here last summer with a simple question when I was setting up a 555 circuit for a project I was doing. I was trying to make a model Crown Victoria with fully functional lights. The electronics ended up being a relative breeze; the actual installation of them into the car... not so much. I suck at building models, and that is what this basically became. I eventually broke several plastic lightbars (and they were $7.00 a pop), and ended up with an LED with a broken leg glued into a recessed hole I drilled. So I gave up. I didn't feel like drilling out the LED only find out what the next tedious problem was going to be. (Admittedly I do still sometimes hook up the half-finished lightbar to an astable 555/4017 circuit just to watch it flash. lol)

So this summer I'm interested in doing another project... but this time maybe not on the 1:18 scale (1.8MM LEDs are no fun to work with). As I said to start with my engineering skills aren't that great, so while my basic electronic skills are higher than average I'm not going to be building a coilgun anytime soon. I'm interested in hearing others ideas on a fun project.

The two main things I want it to be are: 1) Cheap 2) A lower-intermediate skill level.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Have a look at some of the tiny BEAM robots.

(google "BEAM robot")

kyjosh

Dec 15, 2009
Have a look at some of the tiny BEAM robots.

(google "BEAM robot")

Hmm... I'll look into that. Admittedly I've never been that into robotics, but there seems to be a huge source of material for it on the net.