Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Looking for a nice small project!

AndreeU17

Apr 23, 2014
Hey everyone i'm looking for a good project to begin. I understand you wont know my specific skills and what i cant/can accomplish but by all means post your ideas for me to choose from.

The only real requirement i need is to contain some for of microcontroller (Arduino) other than that i'm able to use anything else (School Project)! Hopefully with multiple ideas i can combine something to present as a project.

My original goal was to reinvent the wheel and create a small 3 wheel robot that follows specific loines much like sparkfun robots. However i found it a bit boring unless i included speakers for music, or other stuff.

Thanks

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
How about a "Simon says" toy? It involves (among others):
  • driving LEDs
  • generating sound
  • detecting pressed keys
  • generating pseudo-random sequences

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
@AndreeU17 before we provide project ideas it would help to know your goals and limitations: How old are you? How much time do you have to complete your project? Do you have (or are you allowed to have) someone to help you? Do you have a budget to purchase parts? Have you written (or successfully copied) any Arduino sketches? Does neatness count, or will a "breadboard" arrangement with jumper wires and components poked haphazardly into holes on the breadboard be acceptable? Do you know any basic electricity concepts such as Ohm's Law, series and parallel resistance calculations, how to power light-emitting diodes without burning them up, things like that?

Here is my idea, which may or may not fit your agenda: a Wack-a-Mole® game. You build a board with a three-by-three or a four-by-four array of push-button switches, each switch next to an LED (light-emitting diode) that can be lit red or green, depending on how you power the LED. Or you can use separate red and green LEDs at each switch. Initially all the LEDs are lit green. At some random time after the start of the game one of the LEDs turns from green to red for a short period of time. The player has only that short period of time in which to press the button associated with the red LED. If successful, the LED goes dark and remains dark for awhile and another (different) LED changes from green to red. If unsuccessful (didn't press the button soon enough) the LED that was red changes back to green and the game continues. The object of the game is to extinguish all the LEDs before time runs out and GAME OVER. The amount of time that the LED remains extinguished after a successful button push is a program variable. If too short an interval, the game is impossible to win, If too long an interval the game is trivial to win. A further complication for advanced players with quick reaction times and fast fingers is to have more than one LED change from green to red at a time.