Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Longer wire = weaker motor performance???

mjosbesh

Feb 27, 2016
I have a 12VDC motor (4 amp at full load per mfg specs) and 12 VDC (8amp) power supply. Connected directly it performs great but when I add a 4 foot extension between it makes the motor sluggish. The 4 foot section is the same gauge wire as supplied w/ the actuator from what I can tell (18 or 16 gauge). I also have a couple connectors in the line. Can the type of connector I use cause the sluggish result as well?

Ultimately I need to run two of the actuators from the power supply. Does this change the gauge of wire or type of connectors I need to use?

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
What is the voltage across the "sluggish" motor and at the power supply output when the motor is "sluggish"?

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
There seems to be two possibilities.
1. The resistance of the leads or connectors is too high.
2. The power supply is a switch mode supply which is putting out short, very high frequency pulses which are attenuated by the inductance of the cable. A capacitor across the power supply would help in this case. More information please.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
You've got good advice from others here already.
My input is that yes, your wire diameter and connectors CAN have an effect.
This is just a 4 foot run. Why not use 14 or 12 gauge wire, make sure your connectors are large enough to
transfer current from the power supply to the load without adding resistance, and see what happens.