Connect with us

long wires on digital signal

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Rajinder, Dec 19, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Rajinder

Rajinder

Jan 30, 2016
    Hi,
    I am driving a PWM circuit and low pass filter from a microcontroller. The output from this circuit will have a voltage in the range of 5-15mV.
    However there is a cable (twisted pair with overall screen) between the microcontroller and this PWM circuitry. The cable is around 12-18 inches length.
    I'm concerned about noise pick up as I only have a few mV that I am using.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    There are a few possibilities:
    1. Put the low pass filter at the end of the cable. That way the filter will suppress noise that's been picked up, too.
    2. Make the PWM signal generate not 5 mV ... 150 mV but e.g. 150 mV ... 4500 mV (a factor of 30). put an attenuator 1/30 at the and of the cable to get 5 mV ... 150 mV from the higher voltage input. This will attenuate any noise, too.
    3. Combine both methods: generate a PWM suitable for 150 mV ... 4500 mV as input to the cable. place the low pass filter + attenuator 1/30 at the end of the cable to filter and attenuate any noise.
    4. In addition: use shielded cable, shield connected to ground, to minimize pick-up of noise as your first line of defense.
    Harald

BobK likes this.
  3. Rajinder

Rajinder

Jan 30, 2016
    Thanks Harald.
    What would be the best way to attenuate, a potential divider?

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    That's what I was thinking of.

5. Rajinder

Rajinder

Jan 30, 2016
    Thanks

Ask a Question