Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Long Range Peer to Peer?

Aspenpaw

Jun 20, 2019
Ok, so me and my friend have a Minecraft server, which runs daily (we also have a Space Engineers server which I host) My friend is the host, as his computer is the most powerful. However, due to irrelevant restrictions I can only play in the evening when the internet traffic is at its worst. I devised a solution which involves repurposing old analogue antennae on the roofs of our houses to communicate with each other, and thus make a lightning quick LAN connection between us. My question is: How might this be accomplished? I have a small amount of experience with soldering, so I could perhaps make a custom device if need be, but I would much rather buy a system as there is next to no room for accidents.
Thanks!

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
You set up a local area network (LAN) based on WiFi. Google how to do this.

Aspenpaw

Jun 20, 2019
Ok, so me and my friend have a Minecraft server, which runs daily (we also have a Space Engineers server which I host) My friend is the host, as his computer is the most powerful. However, due to irrelevant restrictions I can only play in the evening when the internet traffic is at its worst. I devised a solution which involves repurposing old analogue antennae on the roofs of our houses to communicate with each other, and thus make a lightning quick LAN connection between us. My question is: How might this be accomplished? I have a small amount of experience with soldering, so I could perhaps make a custom device if need be, but I would much rather buy a system as there is next to no room for accidents.
Thanks!
Another thing, me and my friend are approx 4km away.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
As long as you have line of sight, and suitable antennas 4km is nothing.

My first long distance link was from my house to a central hub that was about 15km away.

There's plenty of 5GHz equipment available that's actually built into small dish antennas. At 2.4GHz you can make the antennas yourself. A bowtie antenna with a simple reflector is probably sufficient for that distance.

Line of sight is the most important consideration. What is between you and your friend? If you stand on your roofs can you see each other?