Maker Pro
Maker Pro

logic probing questions

whooshdoo

Jul 16, 2011
I am troubleshooting a Ms PacMan PCB and I have come across two scenarios that do not make sense to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

1. What does it mean when the logic probe shows pulsing, and both the high and low LED's are lit simultaneously? Since the voltage obviously cannot be both high and low at the same time, would this simply mean that the voltage is oscillating too rapidly for the LED's to visually represent the changes, making them appear to be lit at the same time?

2. What does it mean when the logic probe shows pulsing, but neither the high nor low LED is lit? How can there be pulsing when the voltage is apparently "floating" in between the high and low thresholds for the particular IC, therefore creating no high or low logic states? I red somewhere that BOTH LED's MUST be lit along with the pulse light flashing in order for the clock circuit to be functioning properly, but the game has actually functioned just fine, with neither of the LED's lit as I mentioned above. I am very confused.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
1) The signal is just changing state faster than your eyes can see the LEDs flashing

2) Perhaps the signal is analog and does not reach the voltages required for your probe to register either logic high or low.