Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Logging out

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi to you all.
I have a small problem, its annoying really, if i write a post or reply to a topic i get logged out, IE, i have to log back in to post my reply or topic, i am not the fastest on the keyboard, so some reply's take me a little longer.

Ive tried looking for the setting to extend my login period, but i can not find one.
Does any one know how, or if i can fix this in forum settings some how, thanks to you all, ive no idea. Dave. :)

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
Hi Dave, the forums shouldn't log you out like that - so I can imagine it must be annoying when writing a post! Have the forums always done this for you?

Can you try clearing your browser cookies and then log back in to see if that helps?

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi Ian.
I clear my history cookies the lot every time i close the browser, i think ive got it, small box by the login tab, i checked that.

I use the PC and sometimes my phone to access the forum, any way see what checking the little box does, thanks for your reply Ian. Dave. :)

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Yes, that little unlabelled check box does the trick for me. Not checking it haves me out of here in no time at all. I guess it could use labelling.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Hi Resqueline.
Yes thats the one, its ok now, thanks for your reply's. Dave. :)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Clearing the cookies every time you close the browser will do a good job of logging you out I expect.

But it seems like you're getting logged out more frequently than that.

Are you using a mobile device (a phone) or a normal PC?

I find that if I view a thread and don't reply for a couple of hours I have to refresh the thread, but I remain logged in. And I doubt it takes you that long to type a reply.

Are you using a slightly unstable connection to the internet that disconnects and reconnects frequently (possibly changing the IP address)?

edit: And here is a prime example of what happens when you open up all the new messages and then go through answering them without refreshing the thread :)

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi Ian.
I clear my history cookies the lot every time i close the browser, i think ive got it, small box by the login tab, i checked that.

I use the PC and sometimes my phone to access the forum, any way see what checking the little box does, thanks for your reply Ian. Dave. :)

checking that box by the login WONT help if you clear your cookies every day !!
you will still have to log in again.

thats the whole idea of a lot of site cookies, is so that you dont have to contineously login every time you visit. The site recognises your return and logs you in automatically
That also answers you other query from a few days ago. If you have cleared your cookies, next time you visit the forums you will see all the adverts that you complained of.
when you log in you wont see those adverts !! :)

stop clearing ALL your cookies in mass. be selective, you will see the ones listed by name for sites like this forum that you should keep active, they will stay active for a
period of time ... depending on the site, it may be up to 30 days or more

cheers
Dave

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Good evening davenn.
I know now, i clear the cookies and all temporary data, its a family machine, i use Cc cleaner, its not to much bother logging back in.

I noticed on my phone, which i dont log out of or clear data, i can click the link in bookmarks on my phone and iam in.
I did not know thats how i saw the adverts, but if safe its no problem, i try to tell the kids what a bad link can look like, and some scams, there well clued up, ive only been on the pc about 2 years, my eldest daughter got me started, ive learned loads in that time.

My interest lies in the trying new software, or some of it. Anyway thanks for the info. Dave. :)