Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Lock in amplifier EG & G 5210

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
But the voltage across + and metal case and - and metal case for the LM 311N Ic is only about 3.7 V.

You were checking pins 4 and 8, correct? (Pins 2 and 3 are not the supply connections)

rags

Jul 13, 2018
I am sorry for not replying as I could not come to the lab on Sunday.
Yes I had incorrectly measured for pins 2 & 3.
Now I correctly measured for pins 4 & 8 with metal case ground and I found them to be -17.4 V for pin 4 and 15V for pin 8.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
15V or 18V on pin 8?

rags

Jul 13, 2018
Strangely now the display and buttons are working but the instrument is behaving wierdly. Display 2 is frozen at +1888 and not responding to anything when AUTO MEASURE is pressed.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Are the boards still removed?

rags

Jul 13, 2018
I connected the boards. But even without them the buttons are responding. But there are errors. For example when I press DISP button of display 1 group, The unit highlighted still remains DEG and does not change to V.

The display one however is able to track the reference frequency correctly from the signal generator when connected to Ref In.

Could these problems be because of the microprocessor or has the device gone completely bad?
If the instrument does not work finally I will be totally disappointed. I had planned so much of research work in optics based on this device.

I can't thank you enough. I hope this problem can be solved with your help.

regards

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I haven't looked at this unit in as much detail as my other lock-in amplifier, but I presume that the microcontroller is heavily involved in handling the reading of the buttons and the control of the indicator lights.

The problem really comes down to isolating where the faults are, one by one, and fixing them.

So far we have established that there aren't any obviously huge faults in the power supply. That's a good start.

Also, it seems that you can drop the fear that the high signal level caused this.

If the fault with the buttons turns out to be intermittent (i.e. it hasn't magically fixed itself) then I think this is the first problem to tackle. It might be a mechanical issue (e.g. a broken solder joint), a random piece of conductive rubbish causing occasional shorting, a failure causing occasional lockups of the processor, or unfortunately any one of many more things.

The first thing to do is to try to determine if there's a pattern. Does it always happen as you turn the unit on, or can it happen after a random delay? Does a bump or a jolt to the unit cause/fix the problem? Are any of the boards sensitive to pressure (carefully poking around with a plastic rod or similar).

In my repair of the other unit I have, I noted that while the findings were correctly selected, the lights would follow the sequence 1-2-3-3-1-2-3-3... Rather than 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4... That pattern was the clue for me.

See if you can find something.

And, how long do you have to fix this? A few days? A few weeks? (How long until you need to make a final decision?)

rags

Jul 13, 2018
I am not in a hurry. All I need is a working instrument in the end. Time is not a problem at all.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I am not in a hurry. All I need is a working instrument in the end. Time is not a problem at all.

Well, let's see what we can do.

rags

Jul 13, 2018
Could changing the microprocessor possibly help? Does one need to program the microprocessor?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It could possibly help. I can't remember if it's soldered in. If it's in a socket and you have another processor, sure you can give it a go.

The processor isn't programmed the way microcontrollers are. The program will be in eproms somewhere else on the board.