Connect with us

Load Balancing SMPS to Flyback help please!

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by MrSnips, Apr 7, 2021 at 7:28 PM.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. MrSnips

MrSnips

Wednesday
    Hi all,
    This is my first post so please be gentle.
    Firstly, I am aware of the dangers of this project but I'll be damned if that's going to stop me. So in the spirit of learning...
    I need to balance the out put of a thermally protected 220 to 12v LED dimmable transformer(105w) with the input of a...flyback transformer. (Ex CRT)
    Yes I am building a Jacobs Ladder, it is in a glass tube.

I have rudimentary electronics knowledge, I have never failed to repair domestic electronic things but in this case I'm stumped.

I tried a few different 12v lightbulbs ( as resistors) on the dc side of the transformer but it either didn't function or the arc extinguished in the same fashion as happens with a direct connection.
    I assume that the transformer is getting into an over current or over voltage condition and shutting down as when I disconnect and reconnect a few second later it works again briefly.

So how do I match these so I can get an out put from my flyback? I assume 105 watts is plenty of power as the ladder is shaded from air flow so the thermals to raise the arc are undisturbed.

Any ideas?

2. MrSnips

MrSnips

Wednesday
    That should be matching not balancing. Could I use a coupling transformer?

Ask a Question