Connect with us

Lithium Ion battery charge display question

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by Albrieo, Apr 24, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Albrieo

Albrieo

Apr 24, 2014
    Hello guys. Not sure if this is the right place to ask.

I have a Playstation Portable I acquired some years ago, and my original battery died a while back. Since genuine batteries for this device aren't sold anymore I purchased some generic ones and tried it out.

I bought three, one of them never worked, the other died after about a month. The third one is still working, except for one thing - the charge display. The battery points 100% after recharging, but I can keep charging it for a long time before the PSP led points the charge is over; and during the use, the display does some insane things like dropping to 10%, then go back up to 70%, then die out of blue pointing 1% left.

My question is what causes that kind of thing? I don't know how the device reads how long the battery will last before needing a charge, but I see no point on this weird behavior if the battery works properly. Could someone tell me how the reading works?

Thanks in advance.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    It is impossible to answer your question.

Clearly the functionality is not perfect, but it is not possible to say whether this is poor design, a software bug, user error, the result of a fault, or anything else.

In general the "fullness" of a battery pack can be measured 2 ways:

1) a simple measurement of cell voltage
    2) measurement of power in and power out and then displaying something a little more complex than the difference between them

Most likely your unit uses a version of (1), but it's not possible to say with any accuracy.

Ask a Question