Connect with us

Linear Slide Potentiometer - Help wiring it please!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by zild1221, Mar 13, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. zild1221

zild1221

Mar 13, 2013
    Hi everyone. First post...

Hopefully someone can help me before the end of tomorrow. I ordered two of these for a project:

http://www.bourns.com/data/global/pdfs/PTL.pdf

Exact model PTL30-15R1-103B2

I am trying to wire it to this:

http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836-LC/

There isn't a wiring diagram for the slide pots and I've never worked with them before, only ever standard rotational linear pots. These sliders have 6 terminals, 2 on one side, 4 on the other. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Also, if I need any resistors/ect...

Much appreciated!

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    On the bottom right of the bourns page there is the schematic aka. wiring diagram. On the bottom left of page 2 the pin numbers are aligned with the physical pinout.

The -B2 type is linear, therefore pins 1 and 3 are equivalent. Connect as follows:
    pin 1 = GND
    pin 2 = center tap
    pin 3 = +5V

3. zild1221

zild1221

Mar 13, 2013
    Thanks for the help. Today I wired it up, and it shows up fine under my devices with an analog input. HOWEVER... moving the slider does absolutely nothing. The only thing that makes the value change is touching different pins with my hands.

Any suggestions? I broke out my Ohm meter and tried all different combos of pins and no matter the position of the slider, the reading remains the same.

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Sorry. You'd need an Ohmmeter to check the connections. A you write, it sounds like the pin you'r using for tap isn't the tap.

Ask a Question