Connect with us

Linear or switching regulator?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Gergo, Sep 11, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Gergo

Gergo

Jul 23, 2017
    For my microcontroller based system, I need regulated 5V from a 24VDC input supply. Should I design the power supply unit with a switching regulator, or is it fine if I just use a simple LDO, capable of accepting 24V input voltage? As I saw, its cheaper and less complicated circuitry. What do you think?

2. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Depends what you feel is acceptable 'losses' in the system.

For a simple LDO regulator and 5V drawing 3A you will have to drop 19V @ 3A in the regulator - a power loss (heat dissipation) of some 27 watts.......

A switching regulator might have 90% efficiency so losses would be only 2.7W

Sounds like a simple choice to me......

Equally, you usually only use LDO regulators when the input voltgae is close to the output voltage - it's probably irrelevant but that's what LDO regulators were designed for.

Gergo likes this.
  3. Gergo

Gergo

Jul 23, 2017
    Sounds reasonable, thank you! :)

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Well, it depends on the current. If you are using only 1mA, the wasted power is only 19mW , and a linear regulator is a no brainer. The changeover point is probably somewhwe in the region of 50mA, which results in 1W of loss, which can be handled by a TO220 case woth no heat sink.

Bob

Gergo likes this.
Ask a Question