Connect with us

Limit to current?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Dretron, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Dretron

Dretron

Jun 9, 2012
    Hallo everyone,

I was wondering is there a limit to how much current you can put through a system?
    Lets say I had 20 watts of power of input to a motor, if the voltage was 10V and the current is 2 amps = 20, I increased the current to 3 or even 5. Total p = 50W if the motor would only draw the "required" current for its load lets say 2.5Amps is enough to do all the required work. 2.5 was increased MORE. What would be the result? I'd guess the motor would be over heated and there will be A LOT of damage... What do you all think?

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    The motor will only draw what it needs... If the power source can provide an excess there will be no issues with the motor, no damage or anything, the motor will just draw what it needs and be happy and the excess will no be tapped or used...

3. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    The only way to make a motor draw more current is to increase the voltage.

bob

4. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    Or the load.

5. Dretron

Dretron

Jun 9, 2012
    Thanks guys!

Ask a Question