Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Like new treadmill has dead console. Was working until I unhooked it for transport

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
DON'T pull the ribbon cable...... LIFT the black tabs to each side of the connector - this will release the clamp that holds the ribbon in place.

Pulling it may simply strip the conductive layers off the ends of the ribbon - bad news....

The blinking LED could justs be a simple indicator of processor activity, a 'good' signal (from where-ever) or a 'bad' signal (from where-ever). Unless you have the technical manual it's sheer guess work as to what it means.

vestaviascott

Jul 28, 2013
///If there is more than one key that isn't working it could be that there is a break in one of the tracks of that ribbon. Have a good close-up look and see if you can see anything untoward - flex the ribbon slightly and look for breaks.

I can't see anything that looks broken under magnifying glass. I've got a macro lens on order for my iphone but it won't be here until tomorrow. As is, my phone sucks at close up focus.

Here's the best I could do if you see anything. Before I reconnect the ribbon cable, should I wipe the metallic ends down maybe with rubbing alcohol? I'm sure the oils from my hands flexing this cable prolly not good for conductivity.

40131319_1960359274026921_4031843945746006016_n.jpg

40139566_1960359270693588_9181940282646593536_n.jpg

40138640_1960359277360254_3475836506310967296_n.jpg

40215289_1960359214026927_765708092380807168_n.jpg

Last edited:

vestaviascott

Jul 28, 2013
DON'T pull the ribbon cable...... LIFT the black tabs to each side of the connector - this will release the clamp that holds the ribbon in place.
Right, I was able to figure that out before I took to removing it. It was easy. Now I just need to know if I should just plug it back in or clean the contacts with some rubbing alcohol, dry it thoroughly, then plug it back in?

I have very oily skin and I'm sure I got some prints on the contacts while flexing it about.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I can't see anything at the end you display - the break could be at the other end where it 'folds under' onto the sticky-backed keypad.

If the ribbon is ok then a wipe with a clean cloth should be more than enough - I couldn't guarantee that an alcohol-based cleaner wouldn't take the carbon(?) off the ribbon ends.

The key pad is arranged in an x-y pattern such that two terminals of the ribbon cable will be shorted together when any one of the keys are pressed - you could use your beeper to check that there is a 'short' between two pins (means testing at them all to find the right 'pair' - and it needs three hands to do it!). If this is confirmed then the non-functioning key may be down to the circuitry the ribbon connects to.

vestaviascott

Jul 28, 2013
The key pad is arranged in an x-y pattern such that two terminals of the ribbon cable will be shorted together when any one of the keys are pressed - you could use your beeper to check that there is a 'short' between two pins (means testing at them all to find the right 'pair' - and it needs three hands to do it!). If this is confirmed then the non-functioning key may be down to the circuitry the ribbon connects to.

So, the test is to (1) have someone ready to press the start key on command and (2) with a DMM (set to continuity beep?) find the combination of two pins that causes a beep when the start key is pressed?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
That's it. If you can't find that continuity then the button itself is dodgy. You can't repair them. Normal practise is to get a complete replacement keypad (self adhesive), rip off the old and fit the new.

If you can determine which two pins it SHOULD be you could always wire in a separate siwtch for the 'missing' one - would look somewhat jury-rigged but it would work.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Again, finding the two pins it SHOULD be means you can also deliberately make that short at the connector/plug to enact the function you require manually - just to prove the rest of the system operation is ok.

It's equally possible to use a shorting wire link to short out pairs of terminals to see what happens.... you might come across the right two pins to get it going this way.

vestaviascott

Jul 28, 2013
That's it. If you can't find that continuity then the button itself is dodgy. You can't repair them. Normal practise is to get a complete replacement keypad (self adhesive), rip off the old and fit the new.

If you can determine which two pins it SHOULD be you could always wire in a separate siwtch for the 'missing' one - would look somewhat jury-rigged but it would work.
ok, perfect. thanks for your patience walking me through all that. It was very helpful.

vestaviascott

Jul 28, 2013
Before moving to pin testing, I went ahead and connected the ribbon back to see if anything changed. No better than before so I guess I'm looking at needing a new button ribbon matrix.

Here's a visual to show all of the buttons that I'm not getting beeps from when clicking them via the control panel (Green emits beeps, red does not). Much more than the start button and the down arrow (I forgot to mark the down arrow in red):

40091122_1960396077356574_9127987148287377408_n.jpg

But as you can see from the large box around the incline and speed rockers at the bottom, since all those work - they all beep when pressed, assuming I can figure out how to short connect Start and down arrow keypad and rig something for that, I could get by with them and not using the discrete buttons.

Its interesting to me that they are not on the same circuit wrt the ribbon cable or the matrix. But I definitely would need the start button and likely the down arrow as essential.

Off to check ebay for a ribbon matrix. Probably have to order direct from Nautilus $$$

Last edited:

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Going through the 'short pairs sequentially' will make something happen - I doubt you'll cause WW3 by hitting the wrong pairs but no harm in trying.

You need to do this to determine that it really IS the keypad that's defective and not the 'scanning' function performed to read the keypress into the processor.

vestaviascott

Jul 28, 2013
Going through the 'short pairs sequentially' will make something happen - I doubt you'll cause WW3 by hitting the wrong pairs but no harm in trying.

You need to do this to determine that it really IS the keypad that's defective and not the 'scanning' function performed to read the keypress into the processor.

OK, those pins inside the ribbon connector are super tiny and my hands are not so much. So what does a shorting connector look like?

vestaviascott

Jul 28, 2013
...You need to do this to determine that it really IS the keypad that's defective and not the 'scanning' function performed to read the keypress into the processor.

While I'm researching to figure out exactly how to short the connector, assuming the keypad is not defective, if its the scanning function, what does that involve? An IC chip on the board that will need to be replaced?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
A shorting link is just a short length of wire - any wire.

If the keypad is not defective then the device that does the scanning needs to be looked at - and from your pictures it appears to be a small circuit board stood off the main board and has an epoxy 'dot' over the chip. This is known as a 'chip-on-board' device and cannot be replaced - you can only replace the whole module - assuming one is available.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Also, on the main controller board, I have a solid red power LED and a blinking steady "Info" LED.

Are blink patterns vendor specific? I found a video that indicates that "for most treadmills", a blinking LED on the controller board is indicative of the board receiving a speed signal from the console. It goes on to say,

If you can get hold of the relevant operator manuals, they usually tell you this much.
The LED status depends on the make of controller board and the model.
For e.g. the MC- series of T.M. boards did have a flashing light if the console command was active.
Is there a model number on the motor controller?
M.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
That is a new one on me!
Unfortunately Nautilus do not give much away in their manuals, just some general trouble shooting areas for certain problems.
M.

vestaviascott

Jul 28, 2013
I believe the machine is probably best parted out. The console has a faulty keypad controller and no one can reliably use it without that. This one is a learning experience.