Connect with us

Lightsaber Mod!

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by billyf2l, Nov 25, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. billyf2l

billyf2l

Nov 25, 2016
    Hi guys,

I recently picked up two toy lightsabers for like £0.10p each after halloween. They run on 3 AAA cells (4.5v) and have a button to activate it.

The button operates thus:

1. Push the button - The Lightsaber makes the drawing sound and LED's light up in sequential order to give the effect that the saber is extruding. There are 5 sets of two LED's along the swords length. It then continues to make noises when you swish the sword and bang it against other things.

2. Push button again, the lights remain on but the sounds stop. (IF LEFT IN THIS MODE FOR MORE THAN 1 MINUTE IT AUTOMATICALLY TIMES OUT AND PROCEEDS TO STEP 3).

3. Push button again, the saber closes and makes the appropriate sound and the LED's turn off in order down the length of the sword.

Standard lightsaber toy! But I want to modify two of them to enable me to run them both on the same 9v transformer and somehow disable the automatic timeout so that they stay on.

I've opened them up and the PCB looks like this:

[​IMG]

The VSS on the left is the ground and the 5 contacts underneath go to each set of LED's.

[​IMG]

Underside with the button switch.

I was considering just making the LED's power with the transformer to make a simple lamp set. But I figured it's a waste when I could make them make the sound when they turn on and still draw with the ascending and descending LED's.

I guess my only problem here is the auto timeout. What on the board is doing that job and is there a way I can bypass it so that after pressing the buttons twice, the sabers will just stay lit?

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Sorry for being a major n00b.

Thanks

Billz

2. Audioguru

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
    The "blob on board" might do the timing that cannot be changed. I have solar garden lights that slowly fade between red, green and blue then flash them and the blob does it all. I cannot change it.

davenn likes this.
  3. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    Sir billyf2l . . .

Indeed . . . . . all of the timing and functions are within, and inaccessible for alteration, under and within the units BLACK epoxy blob . . .Circuit On Board.

Of the three functions, I am sure that the first is a wanted function and the second is where the REAL playtime is being done . . .but with its UNDESIRED too short of a time out period.
    Evaluate in the 2 position to confirm what the exact timeout period is .
    Use second hand on a clock for time referencing .
    Just before timeout, see if 2 or 3 ? lightning quick blips of the PB switch, will get the unit BACK into the 2 mode for yet another time out period.
    If this will work, then a timed add on pulser could extend playing time for a looooooonger and newly established playing time, when THIS timer would THEN eventually time itself out and then let the unit go to shut down sheathing step 3.

73s de Edd

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2016
Ask a Question