Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Lightning damage to Denon receiver--advice?

traderjoe

Aug 19, 2012
Lightning struck a tree near our house and caused four electrical issues below. There are no signs of damage to anything except the 120ft tree which has a corkscrew line of blown bark along the whole trunk and a 12 inch crater at the base along one of the root lines which is near the incoming time warner co-ax. I don't use their cable, but I do use their phone and internet, so the lines come to the house.

1) house lights dimming randomly but not going out (resolved over 2 hours)--power company checked house main and all is well--"spurious" discharge they called it
2) GFCs in kitchen and garage popping--no issues when I reset them

3) This one is a bit weird: only the HDMI out port of my direcTV box to fail--the rest of the components work, as does the cord and the HDMI port on my TV

and now to my question:

4) my semi-sweet Denon (Avr-2802) receiver to go dead. I pulled the cover and there are no signs of damage. I disconnected the power cord from the mother board and checked it with a simple voltmeter and it checks fine at 110v. That's the limit of my experience.

Any thoughts what might be the weakest link in this circa 2000 semi-sweet receiver? I tried to attach a link to an image of the rear panel:
avr2802back_TG.jpg

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Using your meter, measure the resistance across the power input pins. If it is open circuit, then you may, with luck, have a blown fuse and with no luck have a blown transformer.
Take one logical step at a time.