Connect with us

Light dimmer Capacitor help??

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Deputy Dawg, Aug 26, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg

Aug 26, 2016
    Hi everyone , nice to be here !! My first post - be gentle please!! :)

I have recently been given a stainless uplighter , that has 2 lights the uplighter has a long J118 bulb fitting rated up to 300 watts, and has a dimmer control .
    There is also a reading lamp stalk ,bendable with a GU10 50 watt Halogen fitted (its dead)
    So ,just assuming its the bulbs , I took the long bulb out to find someone has put a 500 watt J118 in it :eek:
    It was still good . (I have since bought a 10 watt LED J118 type too replace it )
    So rooting inside I find the switches . Taking the dimmer cover of and using my volt probe , I detect voltage coming into the dimmer ,inside it , but none coming out . The guy who sells new dimmers of this make ,bless , £20 each , was helpful enough to tell me that there is a safety feature in there .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now I realise the yellow capacitor at the top is a thermal overload/tolerance item , so I was hoping I could find a cheapish one at Rs , or likewise , to replace it with ?
    Of course ,it may be something else , but I all seems to point that way ??
    What do you experts think ,If I may ask?
    The fuse at top right is good by the way !

I also had considered just replacing it with a straight on /off ,as I doubt I will need to dim it ?

2. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg

Aug 26, 2016
    Sorry , should have said that I cant seem to find one similar on the net . The Chinese way of writing the legend confuses me !
    CYT .1K 275V
    MPX-X2 GPF
    250V Is the .1 K relating to the thermal capacity ? There does not seem to be a uf rating either ,not that I understand a lot about that

3. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg

Aug 26, 2016
  4. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    It looks like a typical Triac dimmer, if so that is just a 240vac .1uf cap used for the phase angle timing circuit in the gate of the triac.
    If dead, it is most likely the Triac.
    M.

5. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg

Aug 26, 2016
    Thanks Minder . So not likely to be that cap thats the issue , you say ,but the dimmer itself will be u/s?

6. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Looks like thermal fuse to the right off the coil. Check its not open circuit.
    Adam

7. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    If not the fuse then I would opt for the Triac will be toast.
    You can easily test it by meter if you remove it.
    M.

8. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Another vote for the triac.

Ask a Question