Connect with us

Light bulb radio interference

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by shiekh, Apr 12, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. shiekh

shiekh

Oct 11, 2010
    Found that a compact fluorescent in my garage opener was causing radio interference with the control; for now I am just using an incandescent bulb, but how does the circuitry for an LED bulb work? will that also have the potential for radio interference?

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    That depends on the LED bulb. A cheap one might have a rectifier plus some current limiting. Chances are that this will not cause interference, but it won't last long either.
    A good one may have a switched mode current regulator which could produce interference but will last longer. Chances are that the good one also has better integrated RF suppression.
    It it is conducted interference you could try inserting a mains filter between the bulb's socket and the mains wires.

Harald

3. shiekh

shiekh

Oct 11, 2010
    Thanks, guess I'll stick with the Edison bulb then; not a big deal since it does not stay on much.

Ask a Question