Maker Pro
Maker Pro

light board

skyhawk

Nov 1, 2010
Hi there, this is my first post and honestly I am not from an electronics background. Several years ago I came across a product that I am trying to find again. I was shown what appeared to be a foam board that could be electrically charged via a transformer and then one could stick very small pin lights anywhere in the board and they would light up. Even reading this back I know it's vague but I am now trying to source a board or sheet with similar properties and don't know where to start. Can anyone help. Appologies if this forum is not the correct means of enquiry.

skyhawk

Nov 1, 2010
Thanks cj_elec_tech, unfortunately this would not suit my needs but great of you to put this my way. I have actually found the exact product I am looking for but currently only have the details of a patent registered in 1989. I have put in a request for info so I can follow this up. Hopefully it will take me forward.
Thanks

LTX71CM

May 23, 2010
I've seen something like that before on adafruit.com or makezine.com.

It used two sheets of conductive foam separated by an insulator (thin sheet of wax paper, plastic bag, etc.). Anything you wanted to power had two pins which served to provide power and act as a mount/push pin. Anything that's polarized like an LED needs to have the proper lead longer than the other. For example if the back foam plane is ground the cathode lead on the LED needs to be longer.

It occurs to me the longer lead would short the top layer at it's insertion point, I don't recall how they managed to work around that. I'll see if I can find their post again.

skyhawk

Nov 1, 2010
Hmm, sounds interesting skyhawk. What's the patent number?

The patent number is Patent 4888232 which was posted in 1989. I have since had some info from a contact who is going to try to put me in touch with the holder but still waiting for this.

skyhawk

Nov 1, 2010
Thanks for this LTX71CM this seems very similar to what I saw several years ago I will pursue this.