Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LGA to DIP adapter

ilia

Sep 15, 2014
Hi. I am working on a project which requires a specific integrated circuit which only comes in an LGA 24 package.
I tried searching the web for a through-hole adapter. I found schmart boards but they're only good for SMT with pins.

I've seen that PC CPU's are LGA and they are connected via a "normal-force" socket, that simply presses them against the contacts. I tried searching for such sockets for LGA 24 but I failed. Also: Do the contacts have to be golden to be used in such a socket?

I found one solution to my problem which requires connecting the little contacts to pins by hand with a "circuit-work writing pen", but I'm afraid I will not be able to do it with such delicate work.

Can someone please help me find a solution to my problem? What do people usually do when builing a prototype that contains an LGA component? Is LGA off limits for hobbyists?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I can find lots of adapters, but none for LGA 24. You may be able to use a 28 pin adapter by just not using (or removing) the 4 surplus pins. Check the dimensions.

ilia

Sep 15, 2014
I can also find these lots of adapters, but soldering a 7 mm X 7 mm LGA onto one of them is just as hard as not having an adapter at all... so what's the point.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I'm afraid you won't get away without some soldering. I'm not aware of any sockets for LGA.