Connect with us

LG S protection

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by speedrider, Jul 11, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. speedrider

speedrider

Jul 11, 2016
    Hi all,
    I have an LG model BH6830SW system. I only used it about a dozen times in the 2 years since I bought it.
    It now will only stay on for about 30 seconds. It then shut off and scrolls "S Protection" across the front.
    I was told by Best Buy that it would be $150. minimum to fix. I was told it was caused by a speaker short. I disconnected everything, and it still does it. So it says it is a fault in the speaker system inside. Is there any way I could possibly fix this myself? Any advice? Did I waste $400. buying this?
    Thanks

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Welcome to ep.
    Start by opening the unit and looking for visible faults. Make notes (and/or photos) which screws go where so you'll be able to reassemble the unit later.
    Working from the speaker terminals backward look for obvious signs of a short such like:
    • pieces of metal where none should be
    • inspect also the terminals themselves for strands of wire that may have broken off the speaker cables and hide in the terminals
    • dark patches in an otherwise light environment on the PCB or on components
    • bulged or blown electrolytic capacitors
    Feel free to post photos of suspect parts (see here for tips on how to make quality photos) for inspection by experienced members of this forum.

3. speedrider

speedrider

Jul 11, 2016
    My first try at picture.

Attached Files:

4. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Hell. Try the Best Buy remedy. Temporarily disconnect the internal speakers and see if you still get the scrolling msg.
    If they were right, at least you'll know if the speakers are ok, (or if there's a problem with the amplifier output to the speakers). There are so many cheap components in these things anymore, ANYTHING, even the speakers are
    suspect. Be sure to check the speaker wires themselves. Were they touching a device that gets hot and melted
    through the insulation to short the wire?
    Look for burned/physically damaged components in the audio output circuit.
    My speculation from your description of the problem (uniformed as it is), is that when you hooked-up the external
    speakers, something was damaged. I blew-up the audio output in a BluRay Player by plugging-in the external
    speakers WHILE the BluRay player was turned-on. Spark, ... damage. Like I said, cheap components anymore.
    This check would be my first check, as long as you already have the cover off.
    Unfortunately, unless you have a schematic and a background in electronic troubleshooting. Electronic troubleshooting
    is the only way you're going to track down the fault. If it helps, the damage is PROBABLY in the audio output
    circuit. You blew a capacitor, or some semiconductor leading out to your external speaker jacks.
    (Uniformed, but my guess. Troubleshooting without actual hands-on is tough sometimes.)
    Frankly, I think Best Buy's repair estimate is pretty competitive with any other repair shop in the business.

5. Hans nefe

Hans nefe

Jul 15, 2017
    i have the same problem with my lg home theater cenema.. the amp board have a problem.. i just order an new amp board

6. Hans nefe

Hans nefe

Jul 15, 2017
    There is een problem in the amp board.. s-protection

7. Timmy

Timmy

Oct 31, 2017
    Hello, I have same problem with my LG home theater and I read this forum and I did what asked to be done. I disconnected all the speakers and every wire connected to the home theater itself but still no different. I'm thinking if something is wrong with the home theater itself but the cause of the problem might be from the speakers, I don't doubt you guys. But there should have been a solution since I removed or disconnected all the speakers. Please let me know if there's still a solution to get it solved. Thanks

8. Timmy

Timmy

Oct 31, 2017
    Hello, please I have a problem with my LG home theater, each time I put on it switches off itself after some seconds and then display "S-Protection". I already disconnected all the speakers and every wires connected to the unit. And powered it on but still displayed the S-protection. Does that means the home theater is faulty or what? I can't understand and I need a solution. Please help me out. Thanks

9. jepjoe

jepjoe

Nov 3, 2017
    I bought one LG home theater and after approx. two yrs, its screen displayed PROTECTION. I have tried all the tutorial answers given but all are in vein,i have seek an assistance of technician but my theater is still on the rocks.I would not want to speculate but could the fault be manufacturers? coz 3/4 of the complainants are pinpointing on the same error of PROTECTION.and if there is any firmware being upgraded then not at my cost. I trusted on LG products but am beginning to think otherwise unless LG assures as there quality and efficiency.

10. Obkiss99

Obkiss99

Aug 12, 2018
    Hi,I have an Lg arx10 2300w,it shows s-protection after sometimes of play and goes off with no sound..I've tried disconnecting the speakers but still shows the s-protection..what could be the problem

11. Obkiss99

Obkiss99

Aug 12, 2018
    Hi,I have an Lg arx10 2300w,it shows s-protection after sometimes of play and goes off with no sound..I've tried disconnecting the speakers but still shows the s-protection..what could be the problem

12. speedrider

speedrider

Jul 11, 2016
    The problem is, LG sucks, and I'll never buy their junk again.

Mostafa2726 likes this.
  13. Obkiss99

Obkiss99

Aug 12, 2018
    I took my Lg arx1 to a technician who told me that the audio integrated circuits blew up,they're as small a a finger nail so is it true they can't be replaced?because buying a new board is to expensive..where can I have them replaced

14. A.brown007

A.brown007

Oct 31, 2019
    Sounds like 2 years is the lifetime for these garbage devices. Mine is also 2 years old and all of a sudden it will cut out come back on for a few an do it all over again another time before the 3rd final time that the device shuts off entirly. I am going to try the things in this thread. Hope it works.

Ask a Question