Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LG LCD capacitor/solder repair issue

missloopy

Jul 2, 2014
My LG 32LC2D 32" flat screen has been giving up for a while... this morning it finally gave up completely.

Research told me that the issue was most likely a bad electrolytic capacitor, so I decided to channel my Grandpa and fix it myself. As it turns out, channeling my grandfather did not channel his soldering skills.

I messed up the pad a bit, and my total inexperience in electronics tells me that I do not know enough to feel confident in moving forward. I am linking the picture below.

Does that look like I can just flow a little more solder over it, trim, and go? Or do I need to figure out how to repair that little bald spot somehow first?

zwxs95.jpg

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Welcome to our forum.

This is half as bad as it looks. Take care not to lift off more of the pad when you re-solder it. Trim the wires before soldering. Trimming after soldering will stress the solder joint.

Heed the orientation of the electrolytic capacitor!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The bald spot won't be an issue, enough of the pad remains.

leave the leads straight when you solder them.

Ensure the replacement is appropriate and the polarity is correct before you solder.

good luck

missloopy

Jul 2, 2014
Okay, PHEW!

Thank you so much for the quick replies! Glad I didn't mess it up too bad!

I did double (and triple) check the polarity, and I only have them bent at the moment to hold it in place. I removed a 1000uf 16v 105c Capacitor, and put a 1000uf 25v 105c Capacitor in its place. Everything I read said that moving up in voltage was better if possible. Hopefully that is true?

missloopy

Jul 2, 2014
Awesome! Thank you for the reassurance. You guys have been very helpful!

Just have to pick up some solder tomorrow. Thought my new iron came with solder, turned out to be desoldering wick... alas.
Then hopefully my bedroom tv will be back in working order. Insomnia is just not the same without it.

I do rather enjoy fixing things myself though. I feel like I am making Grandpa (the ultimate tinkerer) proud. ;)

missloopy

Jul 2, 2014
Just thought I would update and let you know that the repair worked! Thank you again for the assistance!!!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I guess that means you're your grandpa's granddaughter then :)

Congratulations on the successful repair.